Questions about purchasing

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
Studio

Questions about purchasing

Post by Studio »

I'm interested in purchasing the Pro version ($300 version) and had some questions before doing so.

How many computers could I install this onto (I'm assuming multiple especially considering the price it would be for a big studio).

For the trial period I noticed I had to install two different versions for an intel and non intel Mac. Will the version I purchase function on both Macs, or do I download the version I need and then just enter a registration code?

Thanks
Ariel

Post by Ariel »

It is for four licenses. Meaning, you can install it four times. (If you re-install a computer or something, you can contact Helicon and they will let give you extra installs.) It doesn't matter if you install it on Windows, Mac Intel, or Mac PPC. You just enter the same code into any version of Helicon Focus (or Filter if you buy that too). Right now, the Mac version is behind the Windows version. You'll be able to upgrade Helicon Focus once they make a version 4 for Mac, but right now, you might consider using Windows as a virtual machine in order to get the benefits of version 4, like retouching.
Studio

Post by Studio »

Thanks! That cleared it all up for me :D
Kim Bentsen

License Transfer Automation

Post by Kim Bentsen »

If you re-install a computer or something, you can contact Helicon and they will let give you extra installs
Not really a good solution. Helicon should implement a server based solution; 1) Transfer the license to Helicon license server 2) Uninstall Software on old computer 3) Install software on new computer 4) Retrieve License from server.

Other smaller software companies does it. Have a look at DxO Optics Pro. (www.dxo.com)
Ariel

Re: License Transfer Automation

Post by Ariel »

Kim Bentsen wrote:
If you re-install a computer or something, you can contact Helicon and they will let give you extra installs
Not really a good solution. Helicon should implement a server based solution; 1) Transfer the license to Helicon license server 2) Uninstall Software on old computer 3) Install software on new computer 4) Retrieve License from server.

Other smaller software companies does it. Have a look at DxO Optics Pro. (www.dxo.com)
Yeah, you can install updates to Helicon as much as you want without using up the other licenses. I actually meant that if there is some problem (eg hardware or system crash) and you are forced to do a new installation, you can get an extra license.
New Hardware

Re: License Transfer Automation

Post by New Hardware »

I would install Windows from scratch once or twice a year, often using a new motherboard or other new hardware. That would be normal for me as computer hardware evolves.

Would that not decrease the number of available licenses?

Why should I have to contact Helicon, just because I wan't the latest hardware, and because of that, need to reinstall everything?

I don't need to notify my cable tv company if I change my TV! I don't need to notify the power company if I change my toaster!

Yeah, you can install updates to Helicon as much as you want without using up the other licenses. I actually meant that if there is some problem (eg hardware or system crash) and you are forced to do a new installation, you can get an extra license.
Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Okay, so hopefully either that is already taken care of and I wasn't aware, or hopefully Dan is reading this thread and will make the system automatically restore one license any time someone un-installs Helicon.
Dan Kozub

Post by Dan Kozub »

Ariel, thanks for answering.

Our support system automatically adds 4 new keys every 6 months so that our users do not have problems with upgrades. If you like to install new hardware every week end, this is also not a problem, you only need to contact our supporters and explain your situation.