Feature suggestion. Increase resolution thanks to many photos.

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
LaMaviuta

Feature suggestion. Increase resolution thanks to many photos.

Post by LaMaviuta »

Hello,
I've heard that you can stack many same photos together for example with same settings, and create at least higher quality of photo. This way you can minimize effect of random noise of the photo. Also you should be able to read more data, than from single photo, and even increase it's resolution thanks to additional informations from many photos. If previous things would be possible, then same thing should be possible when stacking very similar photos. Is this something that you could concider to add to this program. Or you maybe concider your experience with such algorithms tells that this is rather impossible to do?

Best regards!
Maciej
Catherine

Re: Feature suggestion. Increase resolution thanks to many photos.

Post by Catherine »

Thank you for the suggestion, Maciej. We did concider this and discussed with the team, but don't think it will be added any time soon due to technical complications implied.
NewtonW

Re: Feature suggestion. Increase resolution thanks to many photos.

Post by NewtonW »

Photo Stacking would be great! I understand the complexity, but it sure would help astrophotographers, like me, who use Helicon products already. IMO, it would be something worth considering. You might find a welcome market in the the astrophotography community. Yes, it is a niche and I guess you just have to weigh R & D with potential sales. I'd pay extra \o/ .... LOL

Newton

EDIT: For those that do not know about "photo stacking", it's used quite a bit when shooting deep sky subjects (nebulae, galaxies, etc.), planets, and the aurora. Photoshop has this feature although most people don't know that. You can take multiple shots of the same subject, then stack them together to make a more robust, color accurate, and sharper image. In fact, every quality image you see of the above mentioned, is a "stack", be it from Hubble or a terrestrial based scope. The downside, in astrophotography, is that you have to have a way to track your subject due to the Earths rotation. All told, it gets quite expensive and is tedious to get accurate alignment, even with GPS aligned trackers. However, there are some DS subjects and planets that can be photographed with a DSLR and minimum 400mm lens, like the Orion Nebula and various galaxies and planets. Stacking in HF would make this a snap for terrestrial photographers that don't want to buy PS.