Different results with Batch vs Export from Lightroom

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
Paul_In_WA

Different results with Batch vs Export from Lightroom

Post by Paul_In_WA »

I am getting significant differences in the rendering output depending on whether I am exporting the files from Lightroom or doing a Batch process on the same files in a directory. I have tested it with JPEG files straight out of camera (Sony A7RII) with the in camera color space set to Adobe RGB, JPEG Files exported from Lightroom with an embedded profile, and Raw files from the Sony A7RII. Obviously, the rendering options are the same and I have tested both the A and C methods. I am saving the results as JPEGs with 100% quality. The differences between Batch and Export processing are significant in color tone and contrast but not alignment etc.. One isn't necessarily better than the other just very different.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on? Is Lightroom doing something with the Color Space (by default set to ProPhoto RGB on my system) when it exports? Is Helicon failing to recognize the color space when it batch processes JPEG or Raw files? What else could be happening?
Catherine

Re: Different results with Batch vs Export from Lightroom

Post by Catherine »

It could be normal (i. e. expected or explainable) for the results that originate from JPEG and RAW to be different, but it's certainly not right for the same source files to give different results when using different workflows in Helicon Focus. First of all, can you please confirm you have performed this test and observed the difference in Helicon Focus 7.6.1, which is the latest version?
Paul_In_WA

Post by Paul_In_WA »

I am using Helicon 7.6.1. And I have performed the test I described with both Raw and JPEG source files. Lightroom appears to export the JPEG files to Helicon as TIFFs and I would suppose that when it does that it changes the embedded color profile to ProPhoto RGB but I can't verify that and I'm not sure why it would make a difference anyhow.
James Palik

Post by James Palik »

What version of Lightroom are you using? What is the color space is your Sony set to? I have a Sony a7 III and it only has two color spaces. AdobeRGB and sRGB. If Litghtroom is set to ProPhoto, my experience is the output color will change. will change. ProPhoto is quite different than either RGB or sRGB.

Jim
Paul_In_WA

Post by Paul_In_WA »

James Palik wrote: 12.01.2020 20:00 What version of Lightroom are you using? What is the color space is your Sony set to? I have a Sony a7 III and it only has two color spaces. AdobeRGB and sRGB. If Litghtroom is set to ProPhoto, my experience is the output color will change. will change. ProPhoto is quite different than either RGB or sRGB.

Jim
I am using the latest version of Lightroom Classic not the cloud based one. The camera is set to Adobe RGB and Lightroom defaults to ProPhoto. So you are saying if I have Lightroom set to Adobe RGB the results in batch processing and exporting the JPEGs would be the same?
grahambbird

Post by grahambbird »

I too am having some difficulties with batch vs LR. At the very minimum, rotation is handled differently between the two, the images being 180 rotated.

Can someone explain what happens in a LR export, if HF is handling .dng what does the exports accomplish?