Compatibility with AMD Vega 56?

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
neilvan

Compatibility with AMD Vega 56?

Post by neilvan »

I get OpenCL errors when trying to use my MSI AMD Vega 56 GPU. Is there any planned support for this card?

My system seems to crunch my stacks fairly quickly without it but I would like to be able to use the computing power on my Vega 56... :D
Catherine

Re: Compatibility with AMD Vega 56?

Post by Catherine »

The performance results for this GPU can be checked in the benchmark results table: https://www.heliconsoft.com/helicon_foc ... e_view.php

Does the problem persist? Could you please let us know what the error you are getting is?
neilvan

Post by neilvan »

Hi Catherine,

Thanks for following this up, I am still having the same problems with I enable OpenCL.

Here is the error message I get when I enable and restart the application:

"Failed to initialize OpenCL acceleration. Hardware configuration might have changed or hardware not supported. Please check Preferences. Error text: CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE"

I can tell you that my system is up-to-date with all drivers, software etc. My GPU driver is currently running v. 20.4.1.
neilvan

Post by neilvan »

?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Sorry for the incomplete initial answer. Vega 56 is supported on Mac, but not on Windows (due to technical differences in how the AMD graphics driver compiles and stores OpenCL program code). We currently have no plans to support Vega 56/64 on Windows with OpenCL, but we are working on migrating to Vulkan, which will support every single Vulkan-enabled card (including Vega).
neilvan

Post by neilvan »

Excellent, thanks for the follow up. Looking forward to the Vulcan update...