DNG export from Lightroom not working as expected

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
el48tel

DNG export from Lightroom not working as expected

Post by el48tel »

I'm working with RAF (Fujifilm RAW) images taken with UV fluorescence, so the images are noisy and mostly underexposed.
My expected workflow.
1) Crop one image in LR to expected size based on the visible light image captured at the same time.
2) Synchronize in LR the cropping across all of the images to be exported to Helicon Focus
3) Edit all images in Topaz DeNoise.
4) Export all noise reduced images from LR to Helicon Focus as DNGs
5) Adjust final stacked image in LR

At step 4 the images going to Helicon focus are the RAW RAFs. If I want to stack I have to export TIFFs from LR to Helicon Focus.

Is this correct? I can't get the basic adjusted images across in any other way.
Catherine

Re: DNG export from Lightroom not working as expected

Post by Catherine »

Yes, Lightroom does not apply edits to the image data when exporting raw images, be it DNG or the originals (RAF in your case). The only way (that I know of) to force Lightroom to apply the adjustments is to export as TIFF.

Generally, if your edit your images and then export them as raw (e. g. DNG), you can render them in Helicon Focus unaltered but the adjustments will be applied to the final result when it's imported back into LR. But in your case with a lot of noise and some cropping required I don't think processing original (unedited) files in Helicon Focus makes much sense.
el48tel

Re: DNG export from Lightroom not working as expected

Post by el48tel »

Thank you ... I am happy to hear that my observations are correct. I can see that my "problem" lies in LightRoom and not Helicon