DNG files generated in Helicon not recognised in Lightroom

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
Nick 13

DNG files generated in Helicon not recognised in Lightroom

Post by Nick 13 »

Having come back to Helicon after a month or more I have generated a focus stacked image in Helicon, in the normal manner, all according to previous instructions which have worked fine until recently, and attempted to return it to Lightroom. The .dng file generated does not return and appear in Lightroom. I can open the image in Photoshop, but trying to import (in the normal import manner) to Lightroom is impossible. The .dng file is just not recognised. I have since updated to the latest Adobe DNG converter in an attempt to overcome the problem

I have made no changes to any settings in any software (LR or Helicon), just updated to Big Sur and have the latest update of Lightroom and Helicon (although this has not changed since my last successful images from Helicon)

I can see the generated .dng file in Finder, can preview it and open in Ps, but not import or view in LR

Any suggestions as to how I can return a focus stacked image to Lightroom to continue LR editing

Is this a LR or a Helicon issue ?
Catherine

Re: DNG files generated in Helicon not recognised in Lightroom

Post by Catherine »

I'm not familiar with such an issue, so it's hard to say whether it's on our end or in LR. Can you please confirm that this DNG file was generated by Helicon Focus version 7.6.6? You can see the version number in the window title.

And can you send us one of these undetectable DNG files for analysis?
monk0103

Re: DNG files generated in Helicon not recognised in Lightroom

Post by monk0103 »

I can see the generated .dng file in Finder, can preview it and open in Ps, but not import or view in LR
same problem on a WIN10 Computer with version 7.6.6 trail

i tried now 2h to bring up a stack in any way to work within LR

Test 1: TIF export back to LR:
- open lightroom, import the Raw files into it.
- mark all stack fotos and export to Helicon
-helicon works fast in this way, stack the 55 Pictures in any way, thats working.
-save new stacked picture as TIF and close Helicon, LR can´t find/import the TIF file. Anyhow, i save in the same directory as the Raw files are, or in a new directory
- the file itself exist and can be open with any photo looking tool
- lR says in the description bar, that there is 1 picture to import, but after pressing import button, the message says no new picture imported.
No possibility to get it into LR

Test 2: DNG export back to LR:
- open lightroom, import the Raw files into it.
- mark all stack fotos and export to Helicon
-helicon works fast in this way, stack the 55 Pictures in any way, thats working.
-save new stacked picture as DNG an error message comes up which says " to save picture in DNG format, open the RAW files and choose in the raw development settings under origin picture list the RAW in DNG out loader.
Never found this place where i can choose this option. Converter is installed

the only way i found out to stack fotos and bring it into LR is following in the moment

- open Helicon, import the pictures and stack them
- save the stacked Picture as tif in a new folder
- open LR and syncronise the folder and the Picture whould shown and you can work with it

- if you save the picture into the same folder where the raw files are, LR don´t dedect the new picture :(

where should i send the dng sample, which you ask for?