ProPhotoRGB

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
mikelouw

ProPhotoRGB

Post by mikelouw »

Hello. I've just started using Helicon focus; great app!

I see that TIFF output files are in the Adobe RGB 1998 colorspace. Is it possible to have files saved with the ProPhoto RGB profile?

Thanks

Mike
Dan Kozub

Post by Dan Kozub »

Adobe RGB is the default profine for the most RAW files. You can convert your files to another color space but this will not add you more colors while they are already clipped.

But you may benefit from wider colorspace if you intend to edit the image. Do not forget that wide color space requires more bitdepth so save you images in 16bit mode.
mikelouw

Post by mikelouw »

Thanks Dan; I always use ProPhoto RGB in Photoshop for my Canon RAW files, and always in 16 bit. My understanding is that RAW files do not have a color space out of the camera?

I think I wasn't totally clear: is it possible for Helicon Focus to apply the ProPhoto profile to the saved output images, instead of Adobe 1998, in the same was as you can choose your output profile in Adobe Camera RAW?
Dan Kozub

Post by Dan Kozub »

You can convert image to specified color space. If RAW converter does not embed color profile then sRGB space is assumed.

As I understand you want to assign (not apply) Pro Photo profile to your RAW image. You cannot do this in current version of Helicon Filter but we will add this function into version 5.

Please note that RGB value of the pixel has no meaning if color space is not specified. sRGB space is default space but it has rather narrow gammut and should not be used by RAW converters.

You can only directly assign color space if you are sure that pixels are already in this color space and you only need to embed this information into the file.
mikelouw

Post by mikelouw »

Thanks Dan. Yes, I mean assign, not apply. My mistake. Looking forward to version 5!
Mike