Focusing on multiple slices

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
emoglotz

Post by emoglotz »

I have read many of the posts regarding focusing using the lens focus ring. However, none addresses my issue which is:

I have a Nikon D40X DSLR and am using an 18-135 mm zoom lens in manual mode to focus manually. I can focus on, say, the nearest part of the subject using the focus ring and one of the 3 focus areas in my eyepiece viewer. When I am in focus, the green light comes on. However, when I want to move to a distant (slice) behind the shot I just took, turning the focus ring blurs everything and nothing will come into focus, and the green light does not come on. I spoke to Nikon technical support, and they said I am focusing properly.

What am I doing wrong? How is this handled using other cameras, e.g., Canon?

Thanks
paddler

Post by paddler »

A couple of things to think about. First, ignore that green light because you are focusing by eye rather than by the grosser method of the autofocus so there will be times when your slice will focus on only a small part of the image that the camera sensor won't recognize.

Also, make sure that you have the diopter setting adjusted correctly for your focusing eye or else you run the risk of focusing incorrectly.
emoglotz

Post by emoglotz »

Thanks for your help, it helped.