opacity masks

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
Jeff Buttel

opacity masks

Post by Jeff Buttel »

I have been attempting to use opacity masks and I have some questions which aren't directly addressed in the help files. Can anyone help?
1. Are the opacity masks sized with respect to the orginal photo they mask, or to the the final result. If I want to edit an opacity mask with the corresponding photo data in Photoshop should I be overlaying the original image, or the output composited image? I am not trying to edit the actual image. I just want an accurate guideline when editing the mask.
2. If the opacity masks are black on all layers, what data is used in the final image?
3. In the Digital Outback review, John Hollenberg mentioned that the Pro version outputs the resized images, as well as the corresponding opacity masks. Was he incorrect, or was I missing something?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jeff
Dan Kozub

Post by Dan Kozub »

Jeff,

Thanks for the questions.

>I have been attempting to use opacity masks and I have some questions which aren't directly addressed in the help files. Can anyone help?

With pleasure.

>1. Are the opacity masks sized with respect to the orginal photo they mask, or to the the final result. If I want to edit an opacity mask with the corresponding photo data in Photoshop should I be overlaying the original image, or the output composited image? I am not trying to edit the actual image. I just want an accurate guideline when editing the mask.

The opacity map corresponds to the image for which it was created. If you edit the opacity map and then choose not to align images, the opacity map will be treated correctly. In other word, opacity map is based on the current image without resize or rotation.

>2. If the opacity masks are black on all layers, what data is used in the final image?

It depends. If all layers are completely black (brightness = 0), the first layer will be used, others are transparent.
If all layers are very dark (brightness =1), then the output will be the average. Zero brightness = transparent.

>3. In the Digital Outback review, John Hollenberg mentioned that the Pro version outputs the resized images, as well as the corresponding opacity masks. Was he incorrect, or was I missing something?

We had such plans but did not implemented such feature. It is almost impossible to open in PS 50 images and 50 masks for them.
Maybe we will implement this feature if users will ask us for this.

We appreciate any feedback very much. This helps us to make the program better. So I hope to hear more suggestions from you, Jeff.

Danylo

Danylo
Jeff Buttel

opacity masks

Post by Jeff Buttel »

Danylo,
Thanks for your fast response.

One thing I want to make sure I understand:
If all opacity masks are black, "the first layer will be used". Is the first layer the first on the list, the closest to the viewer, or the farthest from the viewer. I am assuming that it is the first file on the list.

Given that opacity masks match their corresponding unprocessed image it seems like I can pull in the unprocessed image along with its opacity mask, put the image as a layer on the opacity mask, adjust transparency, edit the mask, and then discard the image layer, and save the opacity mask back to Helicon Focus. As such, there doesn't seem be a need for HF to export image layers. Great!

Jeff
Dan Kozub

Post by Dan Kozub »

Jeff,

> If all opacity masks are black, "the first layer will be used". Is the first layer the first on the list, the closest to the viewer, or the farthest from the viewer. I am assuming that it is the first file on the list.

The first in the list.

>Given that opacity masks match their corresponding unprocessed image it seems like I can pull in the unprocessed image along with its opacity mask, put the image as a layer on the opacity mask, adjust transparency, edit the mask, and then discard the image layer, and save the opacity mask back to Helicon Focus. As such, there doesn't seem be a need for HF to export image layers. Great!

Exactly :)

Danylo