can/ does the pixel count increase using H.Focus?

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
digitaleyes

can/ does the pixel count increase using H.Focus?

Post by digitaleyes »

I'm really thinking about purchasing the Helicon Focus program. I've tried the evaluation copies twice now. The first time I tried the program it seemed to me that if I stacked say 10 photos (with an original size of 3502x2336 pixels) the resulting stack of photos in the Helicon Focus program would have increased the pixel count to something like 4000x2667 (or more [I'm hoping]).

It's completely possible that I made a mistake while processing these stack's and I actually increased the pixel count using photoshop. The first time I tried the Helicon Focus software was over 3 years ago. In which I believed this increase of pixel count took place. The second time I tried it was less than a year ago. And the second time around I saw no options that would actually increase the pixel count. But it seems like this would be a plausible feature as stacking multiple photograghs would naturally add more pixels (if so desired).

Sorry I don't know how else to explain my question but I hope someone here understands the gist of my question. Which is, I want to stack 10-20-30 pictures and end up with an insanely detailed macro photograph.

If this is a feature of this software could you explain in layman's term what actually is happening? And if using an EOS7D @ 5184X3456 pixels what could be the possible output of a 10 photo stack?

Thanks in advanced
Digitaleyes
Stas Yatsenko

Re: can/ does the pixel count increase using H.Focus?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Helicon Focus does not change resolution of images (except for panorama mode). There are techniques that use several images to decrease noise (averaging) or increase resolution and details (superresolution). From our experience it is more a marketing thing that an actual technique. If you want higher resolution, make panorama, that actually increases number of pixels and resolution.