Does Helicon Focus really use 16-bit depth files?

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
brentbristol

Does Helicon Focus really use 16-bit depth files?

Post by brentbristol »

My workflow for Helicon Focus has been to:
1. Shoot the stack in Canon raw.
2. Load the raw files onto my computer.
3. Convert the raw files to 16 bit tiffs with DXO Optics Pro.
4. Process the converted 16 bit tiffs in Helicon Focus

The Parameters tab displays some info about each image in the stack as it makes progress. It correctly shows the megapixel size, and file size, but says that the image is 8 bits per pixel instead of 16 bits per pixel. The output file is 16 bits per pixel, but if it is degrading the individual files to 8 bits per pixel during processing the final 16 bit per pixel output file may be an illusion.

When using pre-processed 16 bit per pixel images, does Helicon Focus use 16 bits per pixel as intended or 8 bits per pixel as reported?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Does Helicon Focus really use 16-bit depth files?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Yes, Helicon Focus processes images in 16 bits colour depth if input files are 16 bits.

Most probably Helicon Focus reports wrong color depth. This may happen with RAW files because different RAW converters can be used to get information about file and to develop the file. This may also happen if TIFF file is multipage file. First page might be 8 bpc page and the main page is 16 bpc. Please send us this TIFF (as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp.html) so we can check it.
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Thanks Stas,
I am uploading a file named _MG_8761_DxO.tif in a folder named Bristol.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for the sample. It is a two page tiff, we will try to find workaround for such files and include the fix in the next version. Do not worry, even current version processes 16 bpc image data, only information is not correct.
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Thanks Stas.