Size differential between Source and Processed in Touchup

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
TomMeeks

Size differential between Source and Processed in Touchup

Post by TomMeeks »

From what I understand the largest effective image outline in a group becomes the basis for the final processed photo.

If I shoot 20 images with a focus rack, and move the rack from the frontal-most focal plane to the farthest focal plane, each copy of my subject in the image will be a percentage larger than the one previous to it. The object appears to be closer, and subsequently larger, in each shot.

While the actual size difference from first image to the last image might appear to be quite small, when using the Copy tool in Touchup, it's enough to make lining up a specific source image with the processed image difficult or impossible.

Perhaps I missed a way to line up the images. But, if not, I'd like to ask for that feature in subsequent releases. The processing algorythm already knows how to do this. I'm wondering if we can have a button that would resize and align a selected source image with the processed image automatically for touchup.

Failing that, perhaps we could have a manual option where we selected two specific detail points on our processed image and then as we work with each source image we would select the corresponding two details in the source image. The program could then resize the source image based on the differental of the distances between the selected points.

Or... am I missing something that is already there?
TomMeeks

Here is a sample image to demonstrate

Post by TomMeeks »

The two images respresent the size differential between one of the source images and the final processed image. The RED crosshairs represent the 1st detail selected on each image and the BLUE crosshairs the 2nd detail selected in both images.

The amount to expand the first image can be calculated by comparing the relative distances in each image from the red to the blue.

TomMeeks

Oops! Found the answer I believe!

Post by TomMeeks »

I believe this was addressed in a post that I missed.

As the post said "I was misled by the cursor display in the source window. It was so far off the composite that I never tried the "copy source" routine. It in fact does sample the intended region of the source slice .. often far from the cursor display .. and does just what I want (usually elimination of edge echoes in the background). "

Perhaps I, too, am being mislead by the cursor misalignment (VERY misaligned) and it actually would grab the tight prtion of the source. I, like the first poster, did not go further becuase I didn't want to mess up the final image and didn't know WHICH cursor was right.. the source or the processed. :)