Failed to open images

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
Nudde

Failed to open images

Post by Nudde »

Hello, I was going to do a stack, but I can´t get the pictures open? The Helicon says Failed to open Images. It was working for a week or two when I used it, but not now. What can the problem be? The images is RAW and taken with Canon EOS5D mark IV.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Failed to open images

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You need to install new Adobe DNG Converter: http://www.heliconsoft.com/adobedng/
and setup the path to DNG Converter in Helicon Focus menu "Edit / Preferences... / Integration". In the RAW development settings under Source image list select RAW-in-DNG-out loader codec.
Nudde

Post by Nudde »

Thanks, I get it worked.
Frederick Meyer

Post by Frederick Meyer »

Hi,
I'm having this trouble as well. I've got the latest DNG converter 11.3 and Camera Raw. Phase IQ 4 files. "failed to create dng file from raw using Adobe converter.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Sorry, this camera is not supported by the Adobe DNG Converter
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html#Supportedcameramodels
Transient152

Post by Transient152 »

I'm also unable to open images and am getting the same error messages as others have posted. I've downloaded and installed Adobe DNG Converter v. 12.1. I've opened up Preferences and indicated the path to the Converter. My CR2 files are from my Canon 5D Mark III - so they're supported by the DNG converter.
I was hoping to quickly evaluate this trial version of Helicon Focus with a couple of stacking projects and make the decision to buy in one to two days; however, I've been unable to do anything in the program at all.
Transient152

Post by Transient152 »

A week ago I downloaded the trial version of Helicon Focus and was hoping to evaluate it quickly so I could make a decision as to whether to buy while it's still on sale. However, I've been unable to open RAW images. I can open jpgs, but I'm not interested in working with jpgs.

The error messages are:
1. An unknown operating system error has occurred.
2. File load error
3. Load Image Error: Failed to create DNG file from raw using Adobe Converter.

I have v. 12.1 of the Adobe DNG Converter and have opened the Helicon Focus preferences and selected the path to the converter.

My images are CR2 files from a Canon 5D Mark iii. I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 on an iMac.

Raw development settings are Codec: RAW-in-DNG-out loader
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Here's what you should do:
1. Install Adobe DNG converter 12.1 because 12.0 seems to have some issues with macOS 10.15.2. I can see you did that already, writing this for the sake of completeness.
2. Go to the macOS system preferences -> Security and Privacy -> select the Privacy Tab. Here, on the left you have a vertical list of various permissions and features that macOS controls. As you click each of those items on the left, you see a list of applications that require this feature on the right. Please click through all the permission categories on the left, and tick Helicon Focus and Adobe DNG Converter on the right wherever you see them to grant them all the permissions they need.

This should solve the problem.
Transient152

Post by Transient152 »

I remember granting permission to my old version of the DNG Converter, but didn't go back to do the same for the new version. However, neither Helicon Focus nor Adobe DNG Converter is showing up in the Privacy Tab list of applications that require what is listed for features/permissions. . . there is nothing for me to click on. My trial period expires in about a week, so I don't think I'll have this worked out in time to try the software.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Transient152 wrote: 20.01.2020 04:06 neither Helicon Focus nor Adobe DNG Converter is showing up in the Privacy Tab list of applications that require what is listed for features/permissions.
So far they have always been added there automatically by the system, at least after an unsuccessful attempt at using Helicon Focus. Are you running macOS 10.15.2?
FabianHaas

Post by FabianHaas »

Hello,

I am running HF 761 on macOS 10.15.2 plus Adobe DNG 12.1 and have the same issues. Let me add, I gave maximum permission for HF and Adobe DNG in Security & Privacy and checked the path to Adobe DNG in the integration in the preferences.

By itself Adobe DNG works, i.e. my ORFs are happily converted to DNG, and those are happily stacked.

The strange thing it works first, then I changed someting, and now it wont. Let me see if it was the graphics / GPL (or what ever) support, which used to be "Iris" in macOS 10.14, and somewhere the was a three item list, with which you could define the source of the converter. I check this evening.

Best Fabian
FabianHaas

Post by FabianHaas »

You can add specific software by clicking on the padlock, then you click on the PLUS at the bottom of the list windwo and then you can choose whatever software you like. I did so too, but appears its not really the issue. However, I leave HF and DNG in the list fro the time being. You can always take awaw the permissions, at any time.
Transient152 wrote: 20.01.2020 04:06 I remember granting permission to my old version of the DNG Converter, but didn't go back to do the same for the new version. However, neither Helicon Focus nor Adobe DNG Converter is showing up in the Privacy Tab list of applications that require what is listed for features/permissions. . . there is nothing for me to click on. My trial period expires in about a week, so I don't think I'll have this worked out in time to try the software.
FabianHaas

Post by FabianHaas »

Parallel Image Loding and hardware GPU acceleration on/off had noch effect, but the RAW development settings. See the button below the image list, right side of Mainwindow.

Must be set to Raw-in-DNG-out, then works smoothly (with all the others paths and security settings applied, see above)
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Thank you very much for sharing your findings. Yes indeed, the RAW-in-DNG-out decoder should be selected, it uses Adobe DNG which has the best support for various raw formats. We barely ever use other decoder options, it was easy to forget one should to check for that. Other decoders do not depend on Adobe DNG and are not affected by security changes in macOS 10.15 that we've been discussing here.
Transient152

Post by Transient152 »

I tried to use the HeliconSoft trial program over a year ago and came to this forum for help. In the time it took to post a question, get a reply, try the suggestion, have it fail, post another question, get a reply . . . and over and over, my trial period expired without me ever being able to open an image. Now, 15 months later, I really want to purchase a stacking program, have tried Zerene Stacker, and would like to try HeliconSoft. My Mac is running the newest OS requiring 64-bit programs, so I hoped things might work better by now. I ran "Clean My Mac" to insure that all remnants of the previous HeliconSoft program were removed - it didn't find any. Then I downloaded HeliconSoft again to try it . . . and I can't open it because my "trial period has expired." From reading the comparisons of Helicon and Zerene, I'm leaning towards Helicon, but I want to try it first and I'm not getting the opportunity.