Support for Tamron lens 70-300 macro

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
tim_levelup

Support for Tamron lens 70-300 macro

Post by tim_levelup »

I am having an issue with my Tamron 70-300mm macro lens. The software does not control the focusing. I have my camera (Canon T6s) set to manual mode and manual focus but no response.

The software works properly with my other lens (Canon EFS 18-55mm)

Does this software not support this lens?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Support for Tamron lens 70-300 macro

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The problem is not the software, it's most likely that the lens does not properly support the whole set of commands that the camera body sends to it, and that's why it doesn't work. But it would be curious to see if Canon EOS Utility can adjust focus with this lens.
NewtonW

Post by NewtonW »

tim_levelup wrote: 24.01.2019 23:06 I am having an issue with my Tamron 70-300mm macro lens. The software does not control the focusing. I have my camera (Canon T6s) set to manual mode and manual focus but no response.
If I'm not mistaken, your lens has to be set to AF not MF. Camera set to Manual, Yes, lens No, because HR controls focus via your camera. You state that your camera is set to "manual focus", and although I'm not totally familiar with the T6s (I used a T6i for a couple of weeks), I don't think that is an option. If you meant "Lens is set to MF", then my statement is valid.

Stas, am I correct?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Very well noticed! Looks like I either missed or misread the bit about the manual mode. The lens must definitely be set to AF. The camera also should be set to AF, but to the most basic single-shot mode or the AF will interefere with the focus commands from the program.
Some lenses and bodies may work in MF mode as well, but there has never been a single case when switching to MF was required to get it to work so always go with AF, and if the lens behaves erratically check the AF mode in the camera menu.
NewtonW

Post by NewtonW »

Thank you Stas, I was hoping I was correct. My method is simple, so I really don't explore all the potential that the software has to offer. I tether my camera (5D mark IV) to my lapptop with a 10' USB 3 cable, set my camera to "one shot", manual mode, use the center focus point, and make sure my lens is set to auto focus. Since I shoot RAW, I don't mess with wifi, and let HR turn it over to HF. Sometimes I edit the RAW files and reprocess.