Helicon remote forgets starting and end focus points

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
FabianHaas

Helicon remote forgets starting and end focus points

Post by FabianHaas »

Hello,

my Helicon Remote is forgetting the right starting focus and ending focus points.

Its goes like this: Using Helicon Remote I focus to the starting position, safe in as Point A, then move on the the ending Point B, and safe it. Now when I use the arrow right of Point A, it should go back the exact position of A, but goes way to close. Thus up 20 images at the beginning are out of focus. And Helicon Remote isnt getting to the right end point B either.

Same happens when I start shooting or when I send the focus between the Points A and B. Intervall appears to have no effect. I am not touching lens or focus ring in between.

I am using Canonn 6D Mk2, EOS 2.8/100 mm macro, Windows 10 computer and USB wire connection. Helicon Remote Version is 3.9.9 W. The problem appears newer, at least I did not realize it last week. Is language an issue? Would be happy to delete preference file, if I knew which on it is.

Thanks for the help, best Fabian
Catherine

Re: Helicon remote forgets starting and end focus points

Post by Catherine »

Please disable image review / quick review in camera body settings.
Also please try a different lens to see if the problem persists.
DShipp

Post by DShipp »

I'm having the same issue. There's a shift once I start shooting.

Canon 5Ds + Canon 2.8 100mm macro. Tried the calibrations and checked camera settings.

Has there been an update on this?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Please describe exactly what you're observing and how large the shift is. This can be caused by incorrect AF settings (continuous, AI, servo or other fancy AF mode enabled), or it can be an inherent imperfection of the lens mechanics if the shift is small.
DShipp

Post by DShipp »

I'm shooting jewellery. I find focus and set the end point, find the closest point and then shoot from camera to infinity. Invariably the farthest point is significantly out of focus to require me to manually reshoot the last frame and add that to the stack - it seems to 1 or 2 "small" increments in Helicon remote. Definitely on 1 shot AF, nothing fancy. It may be an imperfection in the lens, when I next shoot I will try and find time to test in more detail and try another lens.