Calibrating the Stackshot

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
kozboPhoto

Calibrating the Stackshot

Post by kozboPhoto »

Hi,

I am using the Stackshot with HeliconRemote and I have noticed that the Stackshot overshoots when changing direction using positioning tools on the GUI. If I am focusing and I step up to find the right spot 11, 12, 13 (looks good), and I get to 14 and realize that 13 was the best, then when I reverse directions the stepper motor oversteps position 13 by ~8 steps.

So I always get a problem with the first couple of shots if I follow the simplest pattern for setting the limits of the focus.
1. I set the closest point
2. then iterate down to the farthest point and set that
3. then start shooting. The system will automatically index to the closest point and shoot the first image.
4. The first picture is taken from the wrong spot. The second picture and beyond is correct.

Workaround:
1. Always reset the Stackshot back to the beginning before starting a shot series
2. do a <<< step further
3. return to the staring place (thus consuming the change of direction slop)
4. Start your shot series

Question:
Is there a way to calibrate the Stackshot directional change step size?

Thanks for your help,

-Kevin
Catherine

Re: Calibrating the Stackshot

Post by Catherine »

Please disable Autoreturn in Stackshot control box settings.
kozboPhoto

Post by kozboPhoto »

Thanks for the reply Catherine.

I am driving the Stackshot from Helicon Focus, so the Stackshot configuration menu is not available. If I disconnect it from my computer then I can get to the Auto return configuration menu, and I can see that it is set to "No".

Does HeliconRemote have a configuration for controlling the auto return feature of the Stackshot? I checked the preferences for the Stackshot and I didn't see an option.

Thanks again,

-Kevin
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

No, you've done exactly what I meant - the control box settings are only available in the unit's menu, but they are applied to Helicon Remote operation.
Also please turn off slack compensation the same way, I think that might be it.
kozboPhoto

Post by kozboPhoto »

Hi Catherine,

Sorry for the long lag in getting back to you about your solution RE turning off Slack Compensation. This worked perfectly, thanks so much!

Minor note for any who follow, the configuration on the Stackshot is called "backlash" and can be found in the advanced configuration options, accessed by holding down the config button for 3 seconds.

Thanks again for your help!

-Kevin
aidanmoore

Post by aidanmoore »

This fix worked for me as well. I'm using the controller with Helicon remote, and the "small" step size would change when the direction was reversed. This might fix a mechanical issue on the Cognisys rail, but it is a problem when using a higher resolution rail such as the THK KR rails with near zero backlash.