General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Panoguy

All images in stack identical

Post by Panoguy »

Camera: Nikon D7200
Lens: Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro
Tethered (USB) to Pixel 3xl

Hi:
I can set A & B points, and see the extent of the focus between them, by pressing A or B buttons, but when I perform "Start Shooting", I end-up with many identical images: in-other words, my cameras focus isn't being adjusted by Helicon Remote during the "Start Shooting" procedure.

Any thoughts on why?

Thanks in-advance!
Panoguy

Re: All images in stack identical

Post by Panoguy »

An update:

I can create a successful stack using my Nikon 35mm f1.8 lens with an extension tube... I'm also experiencing the lens shift that @bigzero2201 describes in their post, when shifting between points A & B and using my Tamron lens.

This is wildly disappointing, while I'm sure that it's a compatibility issue with the lens and no fault of the software, I REALLY want to use my Tamron 90mm f2.8 lens with HeliconSoft Remote!

Has anyone had success with using this lens? Are there any workarounds??

Thanks again!
Panoguy

Post by Panoguy »

Another observation: I can manually change focus and take individual images with the Tamron lens. While not optimal, it is a workaround, and the "Focused" checkbox, accessed in Live View is a help.
A nice feature for the Android app would be to have a "Take Picture" button also on the Focus tab. As it now stands, one needs to be constantly going from the Focus tab (to change the focus) to the Exposure tab (where the "Take Picture" button is found).

Perhaps a feature request, if there's interest?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Makes sense, but there are already more controls on the "Focus" tab than can fit on the screen at once. What you can do is go to the app's menu - Settings - Controls, and bind "Take picture" to the long-tap action.

P. S. Here is the standard advice for the issue of all images in a stack coming out identical (no focus shift). Posting this for future reference.

If your lens has a range switch, set to full range. Try turning stabilizer off. Try turning silent release off if it's on; switch to the most basic single-shot shutter drive mode. Also try different AF settings; the most reliable one is the simplest one - also the basic single-shot mode.
Try another lens if you have one to find out if the issue is caused by the lens or by the camera body settings.
Panoguy

Post by Panoguy »

Thank you @Catherine - the long tap option seems like it would be a really great workaround for this issue, I'll give it a try when I get the time.

As far as real-estate for placing a control button the focus screen, I was thinking more on the lines of adding a 5th tab (there's room up there!), calling it something like "Manual", and have a set of relevant buttons (focus controls and take picture) on that screen.

I have to believe that there are other lenses that are incompatible with the automatic focus stepping feature in Helicon Remote... I contend that this would be a handy feature for a large percentage of your customers.

Just sayin'.

- Thanks again for your fast response a great workaround possibility!