Nikon Z Series Beta

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
RPMtl

Nikon Z Series Beta

Post by RPMtl »

I received the Beta version which I thank you for.

I hope it's OK to create this new topic as there does not seem to be a Beta section on this Forum and the 'bug report' feature in the beta version doesn't offer any option to simply ask questions? If you prefer that these comments and questions be sent by email then please feel free to delete this post.

Installing the beta went smoothly and so far it's working fine with my Z7. I assume certain features will be added and/or improved upon before the release candidate.

Yesterday I needed to use it with my D800e and the beta version was causing problems. Unfortunately the beta installer overwrote Helicon Remote v3.9.10 as there is no option to create a separate install folder and simply uses/reuses :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Helicon Software\Helicon Remote

I restored v3.9.10 and then renamed the "Helicon Remote" install folder to "Helicon Remote_3.9.10". I then installed the beta, which recreates a new "Helicon Remote" folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Helicon Software\, created shortcuts to each version of HeliconFocus.exe on my desktop, and both load and appear (at first glance) to work. BUT I'll only know that they're both working properly when I start really using them.

I think it would be much better if an option was added to the Beta installer that allows a custom installation folder to be created so that the previous 'stable' version is not overwritten. The user could then still have access to a working version if problems arise with the beta.

Russell
Catherine

Re: Nikon Z Series Beta

Post by Catherine »

Hi Russell, thanks for the suggestion. Feel free to use "Report a bug" for asking questions, and the forum works just as well.
What was the problem with D800 in the beta? When you have the time, would you be able to see if the problem still occurs in the latest version (I'm sending you a download link with a private message on the forum), and if it does - send a bug report after observing the issue?
RPMtl

Post by RPMtl »

Catherine wrote: 21.02.2020 08:09 Hi Russell, ... see if the problem still occurs in the latest version (I'm sending you a download link with a private message on the forum), ...
Hi Catherine,

Thank you for the download link in the private message. I tried to reply to your private message but it seems I don't have permission to do that on this forum.

The link you provided downloads what appears to be the same version as the previous one. At least the version number is the same (#.#.#.#). Does the 'dot' version number remain the same in the various beta versions?

Thanks,

Russell
RPMtl

Post by RPMtl »

Hi Catherine,

My question (still unanswered) is whether there's a beta version newer than Version 4.0.0 W?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Russel, sorry for the delayed reply. Yes, the version number hasn't changed so far, you should instead look at the date in the "About" window. It wasn't the same version.

As for private messages - fixed that, thanks for pointing it out. Didn't realize there was such a restriction as I just recently enabled private messaging in the first place.