Micro cable Nikon 5600 to Samsung galaxy A

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
hebephrene

Micro cable Nikon 5600 to Samsung galaxy A

Post by hebephrene »

I need to be able to use my Samsung Galaxy A Tablet while I am shooting. I don't need to take photos, I just need it as a monitor and I find that Helicon remote works extremely well. My problem is that I have the right cable but it is only six inches and I have no idea who made it. I need a longer cable. Now at the Nikon end the cable it is takes a standard micro usb cable, the cables widely used for recharging etc. But while the female port on the Samsung Galaxy is also micro the cable is different, I don't know how to describe it except that it is filled in. I have a attached a photo. I know Tether tools doesn't have but the first step is to figure what kind of cable this is. I have found out that unless the cable is plugged in so that the normal micro is on the Nikon end and this on the Galaxy end, the camera is not connected. Thanks, Joel
Attachments
20200319_145211.jpg
(3.18 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Catherine

Re: Micro cable Nikon 5600 to Samsung galaxy A

Post by Catherine »

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly. According to specs and reviews, the Galaxy A tablet has a USB Type C female socket. There's a micro USB male plug (I assume it's for the camera end) on the attached photo. So you need a USB type C OTG adapter, and your regular micro USB camera cable goes into the adapter.
hebephrene

Post by hebephrene »

Catherine, sorry to confuse. The picture depicts the kind of plug that works so is that a USB type C male? The cable I have works at the Tablet end, but isn't long enough, nor can I figure out where I got it. I'm fine at the camera end, its' the table end I'm working on. I don't quite understand why I would need an adapter if I have the right plug. Thanks so much
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

That's a micro USB male plug, so if your tablet has the matching socket, you need a micro USB OTG adapter. And it's not optional as the OTG adapter has special wiring that switches your tablet from its default USB slave mode to USB host mode. If you omit the OTG adapter, the tablet won't be able to detect the camera or other USB devices even though the wiring is otherwise correct.
hebephrene

Post by hebephrene »

Thank you Catherine !