Helicon Remote not functioning correctly w/ Nikon D850

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
harleygnuya

Helicon Remote not functioning correctly w/ Nikon D850

Post by harleygnuya »

Helicon Remote 3.9.11, Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Android 9, Nikon D850

Everything used to work just fine, but it's been over a year since I've taken any stacks. When I went to take some today, I was unable to. This is what happened:

1. Turn off camera. Assure Helicon Remote currently not running on tablet.
2. Connect camera to tablet via Nikon USB cable and Tablet's OTG cable.
3. Turn on camera.
4. After a few seconds, camera makes usual sounds as it goes into Live Mode, Helicon Remote starts automatically. But camera is not found and Camera is not connected.
5. Check connections, camera monitor screen is dark and pressing camera's live mode button as no effect.
Catherine

Re: Helicon Remote not functioning correctly w/ Nikon D850

Post by Catherine »

The problem is most likely caused by a conflict between Helicon Remote and some other camera-related app. I don't like that Helicon Remote opens automatically, it may be part of the problem. Please go to Android system settings - Apps; find and tap Helicon Remote, and then scroll down to the "Open by default" category. Tap it and press "Clear defaults".

Now connect the camera first, wait for 10-20 seconds to make sure no other app opens on its own (if it does - terminate it), then run Helicon Remote.
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

FWIW: I recently tried the same thing. With the same results.

Camera Nikon D850. Tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab S6. Cable USB3 Type-A to microB with USB3 microB to USB-C adapter... Known good Gen. 2 cable and adapter that run devices anywhere from 290-440 Mb/s. Reliably.

I force stopped everything gallery, camera or other that could mess with the camera. I uninstalled Lightroom and Photoshop.

Tried combinations of starting/stopping the D850, Helicon Remote (3.9.11), the tablet. Unplugging and plugging in cables.

So far the MOST reliable method FOR ME has been to have the tablet running, connect the camera to the tablet. start Helicon Remote, wait for it to tell me there's no camera. Turn on camera. After about 3 seconds, Helicon finds the camera and works normally. If anything isn't perfect, it'll stop the tablet dead - Exiting from pressing the 3 dots to getting the "Exit" can take 10 - 20 SECONDS. Press Exit and it can be 10-30 seconds before the confirmation displays...

It's not real reliable, but this has worked more frequently than what I used to do with the D300 in terms of order of startup. Tomorrow it may work completely differently, or not at all.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

The only two things that we know to cause these symptoms are a software conflict (with some other app that attempts to access, or even just detect, a camera) or a problem with the physical USB connection. I know you've done your best to address both, but this is what we know so far.
Your cabling sounds odd. Assuming you didn't confuse USB A and USB B connector types, it sounds like you're not using a standard USB OTG adapter, and with an issue like this it's definitely worth addressing. Get a USB C to USB A OTG adapter, and then a regular USB A to micro USB cable (such as the one that came with the camera). It doesn't matter if the cable is USB 2 or USB 3 micro type as both will fit the camera's port and you're unlikely to feel any difference.

Also, Helicon Remote itself works fine no matter the order in which you start the camera, but when you do it your way you're inviting trouble from other apps if there is an app on your phone that wants to detect and access the camera. I recommend connecting the camera fisrt, waiting a couple seconds to make sure no app starts up, displays a notification or anything else like that (if it does - kill it), and only then run Helicon Remote.