Nikon D4, WT-5 Wireless, and iOS iPad/iPhone

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
keislein

Nikon D4, WT-5 Wireless, and iOS iPad/iPhone

Post by keislein »

Hi guys,

I've got the remote and stacking software working perfectly USB tethered to a laptop. Problem is I don't want to lug a laptop around in the field. So iPhone or iPad is required.
I have both of them. And I have the WT-5 wireless adapter for my Nikon D4.
However I can't get the app on the phone to see the camera. The phone is connected to the wifi adapter and I can use the built in server to control the camera remotely using a web browser, but I can't make the Helicon Remote app see the camera. So I know that the phone is definitely connected to the camera. But the Helicon Remote app does not see it.
I have added the camera in the app settings. Give it a name, the IP is the IP of the camera shown in the D4 network settings menu, try to connect and the app reports the error: A network device with the specified error is not found.
The app also suggests going to Tools - Network cameras but this setting does not appear in the iOS app.
I have also been through the instructions here: http://www.heliconsoft.com/HeliconRemot ... ml#NikonWT
But those instructions are for the WT-4, not the WT-5. So the settings and screens are different. I have tried it anyway but no success.

Can anyone help me connect the app to the Nikon D4 using the WT-5 wifi adapter please?
Thanks
www.myloweslife.com
Catherine

Re: Nikon D4, WT-5 Wireless, and iOS iPad/iPhone

Post by Catherine »

Hi!

1. Try to connect to WT-5 from your laptop first, troubleshooting is easier there. For example, you can ping the address to see if the device is alive and if the address seems correct. I have no idea why, but the camera often displays address that is not correct. For built-in Wi-Fi the address is always 192.168.1.2 in ad-hoc mode, but I don't know about WT-5.
2. "Network cameras" is merged with the "Select a camera" dialog. Press "Add" to add a new entry with manually set parameters.

We don't have the WT-5 adapter so can't provide precise instructions, but I'm sure it will work and there shouldn't be anything difficult about it, except perhaps the Nikon Wireless Utility may be required to create a profile. Again, it's best to figure out the correct steps on Mac and then just repeat them on iOS. Let us know how you progress, show photos or screenshots of the problem if you get stack. Together we can figure it out, and I'll do my best to guide you.