Halos no matter what I do...

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
GracieAllen

Halos no matter what I do...

Post by GracieAllen »

This has always been a problem, depending on what I"m shooting, and the response has always been "the light changed while you were shooting"...

The light didn't change as I shot these. Indoors, in the studio, continuous lighting, 18" softbox left front, diffused light right rear to backlight. LIghts on and stable for over an hour. Nikon D850, shooting in silent mode (no shutter movement, all electronic), manual mode, 1/4 sec, f/11, ISO 125. Eyepiece is covered by the integrated eyepiece cover so there is absolutely no light leakage. All images captured to Helicon Remote 3.9.11 using the default interval and number of shots.

Ran 29 shot set through Helicon Focus for method B at 8,4, and Method C. Both have dark halos. And the Method C image has a lot of flare from the highlights.

It's fixable, which is what I"ve always had to do in Photoshop, but it would be nice to know how to prevent the problem. Other than don't shoot flowers, don't shoot backlit, don't light water droplets, etc.
_D857659 29B,Radius8,Smoothing4.jpg
_D857659 29B,Radius8,Smoothing4.jpg (226.67 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
_D857659 29C.jpg
_D857659 29C.jpg (227.96 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
GracieAllen

Re: Halos no matter what I do...

Post by GracieAllen »

BTW: I also tried the legacy version of Method B. Halos. AND Photoshop - halos.

I've got a lot of stacks that get these halos and I'm not sure what to do to prevent them...

I'm careful to strip off any images in the stack that are too far forward or behind where I want the stack to end, so there aren't a bunch of out of focus images at either end. Too much distance covered by the stack? Most of them, like the example, are small blooms covering an inch or less.