Nikon D7500 + Tamron 90mm

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Black_Dog_Photo

Nikon D7500 + Tamron 90mm

Post by Black_Dog_Photo »

I will start with the fact the the programme was working flawlessly up till now, with the same camera body and lens.

When I set focal point A as the nearest point, then set Focal point B as the farthest - when I start shooting the camera either overshoots or undershoots Focal point A and does not finish where I set Focal point B. This results in the entire stacked image being out of focus.

I would also mention that previously the programme took a lot more shots (100+) but now for similar images it takes about 30.

I have reset the the preferences, re-installed the programme, switched the camera back off and on, cleaned the lens contact points but all to no avail. I have read some similar threads, and adjusted the 'Limit maximum amount of continuous focus movement' to 'Yes' and adjusted the 'Max amount of continuous focus movement' from 75 to 15 as other threads have suggested, but it has made no difference.

I have experimented setting both of the points and then flicking between point A and B and it will not accurately make the return focal journey.

I had made no adjustments to either the programme or camera settings, so cannot understand why on day 1 it is fine and day 2 it is not. I was convinced this was the programme for focus stacking I had been looking for, but now am a little less convinced! Please help!!
Catherine

Re: Nikon D7500 + Tamron 90mm

Post by Catherine »

Black_Dog_Photo wrote: 28.05.2020 17:36 I would also mention that previously the programme took a lot more shots (100+) but now for similar images it takes about 30.
That indicates that at least one of the three variables that affect DOF has changed: the aperture value, the focal length, or the correction factor. I assume you haven't changed the latter one, so it must be one of the former. Think back to when it used to work fine, and try to set these values to what they used to be (use the number of 100 shots as your guide). See if that affects the problem.

If nothing else helps, I recommend clearing the camera body settings. You can save your current settings to a memory card.

Please let us know how it goes and if you find out some more details about the issue.
Black_Dog_Photo

Thanks for the reply. I sent an email to <heliconsoft@gmail.com> dated 29 May 2020 with full details of the issue and screen grabs. The aperture value remained constant throughout and the focal length will have 100% not have changed as it is a 90mm prime lens. The only adjustments were made via the Remote programme to alter the steps between focal points.

I will try clearing the camera settings as you suggest. One other quick question is that the programme is in trial phase still (i have 11 days remaining). On the 'About' section it states 'limited functionality' - would this be a culprit? I presume not.

I will repost on checking post camera setting reset. Grateful for this response and if you could reply to my email.
Black_Dog_Photo

Having factory re-set all camera settings, unfortunately the problem has not been resolved.

All the variables you mentioned remained constant (aperture, focal length and correction factor).

Helicon Remote, in the example i have tried today, when points A and B are set and saved, calculates the distance between the nearest and farthest focussing points to be 189. When i move from point B back to point A i can see the distance counting down from 189 to 0. When in stops at 0 it is not focussed on point A any more; i have to move point A +24 points to get it back in focus (24/189).

I then clear and re-set point A. If I switch back to check point B, it moves back to 189, but this is now +24 points short. So, I clear point B and re-set at +24 which then saves the distance as 223 between the two points.

This is where the problem lies as when it moves back to point A it goes 223 points back not the initial correct 189. Even so, because when I bring point A back into focus it is at 37/223. If it had been at 24/223 it might have made more sense!! it has got more out of focus. Point B as a matter of fact is now correct at 236/221.

Hopefully this adds to the puzzle!! Still love the programme idea...just need guarantee of accuracy before i purchase the full license.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Black_Dog_Photo wrote: 02.06.2020 17:17 All the variables you mentioned remained constant (aperture, focal length and correction factor).
That is scarcely possible as the formula used for this calculation is deterministic and there are no other variables. If there was a different interval number, then either one of these three parameters was different or you have un-ticked the "Auto" checkbox and entered a different interval manually.
Black_Dog_Photo wrote: 02.06.2020 17:17 Helicon Remote, in the example i have tried today, when points A and B are set and saved, calculates the distance between the nearest and farthest focussing points to be 189. When i move from point B back to point A i can see the distance counting down from 189 to 0. When in stops at 0 it is not focussed on point A any more; i have to move point A +24 points to get it back in focus (24/189).

I then clear and re-set point A. If I switch back to check point B, it moves back to 189, but this is now +24 points short. So, I clear point B and re-set at +24 which then saves the distance as 223 between the two points.
This is a bit hard to follow in verbal form. If A was at 0 (as it always is) and B was at 189, and then you reset A to +24, then the distance between points (which is what you see listed while both points are locked) should be 189 - 24 = 165, not 223 (189 + 24). It does sound weird, but there were no problems on the video you've submitted, all the numbers were correct there and if you were to mask the live view image there would be no indication of anything being wrong: the only problem was that the lens didn't execute the focus movement commands accurately, but the program did send the correct numbers to the lens.

If you do observer numerical discrepancies - please send a bug report immediately (menu - Help - Report a bug). I very much doubt there could be such a glaring bug in the program's primary functionality and no one else reported it during all this time, but of course if you can reproduce such an issue and submit evidence we will investigate at once.

What I see happening is the lens not respecting the focus adjustment commands with enough precision, and it's not an extraordinary occasion for Tamron lenses especially. The only really odd thing about is that you say it used to work before. I wonder what could have changed that triggered the problem, and I don't know.

By the way, I can see that "Limit max. amount of focus movement" was turned off in your video, try turning it on and setting a shorter threshold, like 10 or even 5. Does it improve anything?