Support for Canon Mirrorless Cameras

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
cpburki

Support for Canon Mirrorless Cameras

Post by cpburki »

When will Helicon start supporting Cannon Mirrorless Cameras or any mirrorless camera from any manufacturer? What a bitter disappointment Helicon Soft has been with their Helicon Remote product. Please don't tell me it is not possible at this time since Kuuvik Capture supports Focus Bracketing for the Canon R and the Canon RP on both the Mac and iPad and can do it using WiFi or Tethered. Canon made their mirrorless products available in October of 2018 and here we are coming towards the close of 2020 and Helicon Soft has nothing for any mirrorless product. When Kuuvik (DIRE Studio) provides support for the new Canon R5 and Canon R6 in the next couple of months and provides Focus Bracketing at the same time as Exposure Bracketing I will request a refund from you folks for such a bitterly disappointing product. By the time you people roll out support for a product it is already out of production. There, now I vented my frustration at you so back to my original questions: When will you support Canon Mirrorless Cameras and please don't give me the song and dance of "We are working on it". Just a straight answer.
Catherine

Re: Support for Canon Mirrorless Cameras

Post by Catherine »

Now we have a beta version with support of Canon EOS R, Rp, M6 Mk II, M50; Nikon Z6, Z7, Z50; Sony A7 III, A7 RIII: https://www.heliconsoft.com/software-downloads/#beta. More cameras to be added.
cpburki

Post by cpburki »

And when can we expect support for the Canon R5? 2 years from now?
amballin

Post by amballin »

I have downloaded HR Beta and I can select the Canon R5. With camera in Manual mode I can change the exposure settings. I can toggle the live view button but nothing happens on my Mac (catalina) - No image is displayed and I can not take a fast preview, nor a picture
cpburki

Post by cpburki »

Kuuvik Capture 5 now supports Canon R5 for Focus Bracketing. It is still missing the ability to Focus Bracket at the same time as Exposure Bracketing but the developer is working on this feature. The great thing is that DIRE Studio, developer of Kuuvik Capture 5, took only 2 months to get his product working on the Canon R5 and has supported the Canon R and RP for 1.5 years now. They have done in a couple of months what Helicon hasn’t been able to do for 2 years. I hope to be off the Helicon Remote system in the next 60 days. Thank God.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

amballin wrote: 29.09.2020 23:23 I have downloaded HR Beta and I can select the Canon R5.
We don't yet support the R5, only R and Rp, sorry. We definitely expect to support R5 as well, but I don't have a time estimate right now.
colinj

Post by colinj »

I've downloaded the latest Beta (ver. 4.0.3 M), and tried to use it with my EOS R. It recognises the camera, allows me to change settings and control the focus, but it will not display the live view, nor take any images at all. I can set the start and end point for a focus bracket, along with the interval, and hit "start shooting", which will make the camera go through all the motions (adjusting focus, pausing, adjusting focus...). But at no point does the camera actually take a shot.

I've tried restarting the camera, restarting Helicon Focus, nothing works.

This is ridiculous, even for a beta. Triggering the shutter is the bare minimum requirement for any remote camera app.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

colinj wrote: 17.11.2020 18:51 This is ridiculous, even for a beta. Triggering the shutter is the bare minimum requirement for any remote camera app.
You're absolutely right. We have just found and fixed a serious internal error in the beta which could cause various observable faults, and while we can't be certain this is the same problem you've encountered, that is highly likely. Please install the updated version, hopefully the problems will be gone, but if not - please send a bug report (menu - Help - Report a bug).

https://heliconsoft.com/downloads/HeliconRemoteBeta.dmg
jcc285

Post by jcc285 »

Disappointed to receive the message 'Canon R6 is not a supported camera'

Is this likely to be rectified soon please ?
GetUp

Post by GetUp »

Hi, I am trying to connect Canon R5 to latest beta, it sees my camera, but can't enable LiveView
Eric8255

Post by Eric8255 »

In relation to Kuuvick Capture mentioned above.

Kuuvik supports from a near or far baseline I.e the near point.

You cannot set a far point.

The step sizes are small medium or large it there is no indications of the DOF at any aperture. They say you need to test with your own lenses.

Kuuvik is thus of limited use for focus stacking - usable if you want an entire image sharp - not really if you only want part eg for artistic effect.

Helicon is a far superior software.
cpburki

Post by cpburki »

In response by Eric8255. How could Helicon Remote be superior when it does not even supporter mirrorless cameras? You need to learn how to read since the Forum is "Support for Canon Mirrorless Cameras".
cpburki

Post by cpburki »

Just to add to my previous post, you are correct that the ability to set near and far focus points is a great feature that is lacking in the Kuuvik Capture software but it is an alternative to Helicon Remote since they do not support any mirrorless camera let alone Canon Mirrorless cameras. This is simply an alternative to Helicon Remote and for my purpose, Landscape Photography, the Kuuvik Capture does everything I need but I do recognize that having the ability to use near and far focus points is very useful especially for macro photography so I do not deny that the features of Helicon Remote is very useful but since it does not support mirrorless cameras and is the very reason why everyone on these forums are having difficulty with Helicon since Nikon and Canon have had mirrorless cameras for well over 2 years now and still no support. So while your point is valid about the basic functionality of Helicon Remote you completely missed the point that this is all about not supporting mirrorless cameras.
colinj

Post by colinj »

Catherine wrote: 20.11.2020 19:09
colinj wrote: 17.11.2020 18:51 This is ridiculous, even for a beta. Triggering the shutter is the bare minimum requirement for any remote camera app.
You're absolutely right. We have just found and fixed a serious internal error in the beta which could cause various observable faults, and while we can't be certain this is the same problem you've encountered, that is highly likely. Please install the updated version, hopefully the problems will be gone, but if not - please send a bug report (menu - Help - Report a bug).

https://heliconsoft.com/downloads/HeliconRemoteBeta.dmg
Hi Catherine,
Sorry, I only saw this now. I don't get notifications for these forum replies, evidently. I'll need to search for a setting to change that.

I installed the latest beta for Mac (4.0.4) and it now seems to work perfectly with my EOS R. I haven't had a chance to test extensively, but so far I can't see any bugs. It's been a long wait, but I can finally use my main camera with Helicon Remote.

Also worth noting for anyone who cares, as of today I'm running Helicon Remote and Helicon Focus on an M1 Apple Silicone Macbook Air, and so far it's a super smooth experience.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Catherine,
Sorry, I only saw this now. I don't get notifications for these forum replies, evidently. I'll need to search for a setting to change that.

I installed the latest beta for Mac (4.0.4) and it now seems to work perfectly with my EOS R. I haven't had a chance to test extensively, but so far I can't see any bugs. It's been a long wait, but I can finally use my main camera with Helicon Remote.

Also worth noting for anyone who cares, as of today I'm running Helicon Remote and Helicon Focus on an M1 Apple Silicone Macbook Air, and so far it's a super smooth experience.
Hi, thank you very much for the info on both points!
jcc285 wrote: 25.11.2020 18:46 Disappointed to receive the message 'Canon R6 is not a supported camera'

Is this likely to be rectified soon please ?
Canon R5 and R6 are now supported (already have been as of the time of your message), please make sure you have the latest beta version 4.0.4 (download it from here). At the very least the message "is not a supported camera" is no longer shown for R5 and R6 so that indicates you still had the older version.
If something doesn't work properly, please send a bug report right after encountering an error.
GetUp wrote: 30.11.2020 18:37 Hi, I am trying to connect Canon R5 to latest beta, it sees my camera, but can't enable LiveView
Hi, please make sure you have the version 4.0.4 and not 4.0.3 (download link just above in my reply to jcc285), if the problem still occurs - please send a bug report (menu - Help - Report a bug) after the error or unexpected behavior occurs.
cpburki wrote: 03.12.2020 10:14 they do not support any mirrorless camera let alone Canon Mirrorless cameras.
This hasn't been true for at least the last half a year since when we released the beta version which supported popular mirrorless cameras from Canon (EOS R/Rp, M50, M6 Mk II), Nikon (Z50, Z6 and Z7) and Sony (A7 III, A7 R III). Only R5 and R6 support was notably lacking, and these cameras were just released this summer (and should now be supported as well, as I mentioned above).