USB connected camera not detected

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
berater

USB connected camera not detected

Post by berater »

Who can help me?
When I connect my Nikon D5100 to my notebook Dell Vostro by the USB cable which was delivered with the camera, switch the camera on, and start Helicon Remote, I get the message that no camera is connected. Even when I do it in a different order -> no chance. But the camera is detected by the operating system, since when I connect it, I hear a sound and a box appears at the right bottom corner telling that I should choose an action etc. When I start qDslrDashboard, a software which also can control Nikon cameras, and press the USB button, the camera is found and connected and delivers a LiveView and everything. So it's not to blame on the Operating System (which is Windows 10 Pro Version 2004).
On my Windows workstation, it works fine, but I don't want to carry that one to the open.
On my Android mobile, with OSC adapter in between, it doesn't get connected either.
On an older Android mobile (with cracked glass), it works!
On my old Android tablet, it works! I will use that one for the time being, but I'd like to use the integration with Helicon Focus.
Why does Helicon Remote connect the camera on some devices and on some not?

Any ideas?
Catherine

Re: USB connected camera not detected

Post by Catherine »

1. I understand that Windows detects the camera as a USB device, but that's not the whole story. Does the camera appear in File Explorer under "This PC"? Can you browse its storage? If not - the problem is that the wrong driver is selected for the camera. Plug the camera in, open Device Manager - Universal Serial Bus Controllers, locate the device that appears when you connect the camera and disappears when you turn it off. Then, double-click this device - Driver - Uninstall device. Tick the checkbox to delete the driver files. Now, just power-cycle the camera once again so that Windows detects it and installs the default driver, which is the appropriate one for Helicon Remote.

2. What's an OSC adapter? You need an OTG adapter for Android. Is there any indication that Android itself detects the camera?
This FAQ entry gives move advice: https://www.heliconsoft.com/faq-helicon ... t_detected
berater

Post by berater »

Hi Catherine,
thanks alot for your competent answer.
1. It works! I additionally had to reboot the notebook, but then it worked. Now, the camera appears under "This PC" and it is detected by Helicon Remote. The drawback is that qDslrDashboard no longer detects the camera, but this is less important.
2. Yes, Android detects the camera; it even asks if I want Helicon Remote be the standard application for this device and when I confirm, HR is being started up. But nevertheless, HR claims that the camera is not connected.
What's an OSC adapter? You need an OTG adapter for Android.
I knew that it's something with "O" :-) Now that I know that it means "USB On-the-Go", I hopefully won't mix it anymore.
I checked the OTG compatibility of my mobile with "USB OTG Checker" App and it was confirmed.
I wouldn't like to install CyanogenMod or something. I did it with a former mobile, then Cyanogen ended its business.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Glad to hear you've solved the problem on Windows! It appears qDslrDashboard requires a custom USB driver and doesn't work through the normal Windows subsystem for digital cameras.

As for Android, you do not need to install anything. Since Android does detect the camera, there's no problem with it. Given your description of the issue on Android, the problem with 99% certainty is a conflict between Helicon Remote and some app that also attempts to access the camera. Make sure to connect the camera first, then kill any such apps (including Photos, Gallery etc.), and only then run Helicon Remote.