Canon 7D mk2, EF-S 60mm Macro... camera focus fights program?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
SarahC

Canon 7D mk2, EF-S 60mm Macro... camera focus fights program?

Post by SarahC »

Hiyas!

I love this program, but good results are difficult to acheive.

When I click the <<< Big step left, and >>> Big step right icons, the focus moves in the relevant direction.

BUT - it looks like the camera then says "OH NO YOU DON'T! That focus is off!" ...... and moves the lens back quickly mostly where it was previously.

Now I nearly turned "Autofocus" off at the lens switch, then realised the camera would lose all control of the lens... so it seems a catch 22.... unlike Nikon which appear to have 2 switches for autofocus, one on the lens and a physical one on the camera...

Putting on Autofocus on my 7D lets Helicon control it, but the camera then also controls it screwing up where the focus is.

Please tell me there's some Custom-Fn or something I just need to tweak!

Many thanks!

Sarah
SarahC

Re: Canon 7D mk2, EF-S 60mm Macro... camera focus fights program?

Post by SarahC »

I found the detailed instructions in Help in the program.
My camera was site quite differently, so I'll set these up!

.... LATER....

I had "Continuous focus" turned on in my camera settings for live view. That's where the "fight" was coming from.
It all works beautifully now. So fast! Sweet!

-----------------------
The instructions:

Set one shot focusing mode: One-Shot AF (Canon)/AF-S (Nikon). The newest Canon cameras (starting with 70D) have a distinct focus mode setting for live view. It can only be accessed while live view is turned on. For these cameras you must set the "AF method" to FlexiZoneAF[] (note the square brackets) and turn continuous AF off.
Switch HDR off.
Set the drive mode to "Single shot". No silent release etc., just plain single shot.
Nikon: switch mirror lock-up off.
Canon: disable quick review, it might disrupt focus bracketing. It's OK to leave quick review on if you don't do focus bracketing.
Canon: sometimes resetting custom function settings helps solve weird issues.
Last edited by SarahC on 18.06.2021 12:15, edited 1 time in total.