Remote Beta with Nikon Z50

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
newtonsapple

Remote Beta with Nikon Z50

Post by newtonsapple »

I am trying out a Nikon Z50 with a trial of Remote 4.0.6W. Running windows 10. I am using a "dumb" lens with no electrical contacts.

I can only select small JPEG options. Even when selecting RAW, a JPEG is recorded. Is this a known beta limitation?

I also can't select a shutter speed when the camera is set on the dial to manual mode.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (130.57 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
Catherine

Re: Remote Beta with Nikon Z50

Post by Catherine »

Please check whether the camera is set to movie mode instead of still photography mode. If it is, switching to photo mode should solve these problems.
newtonsapple

Post by newtonsapple »

Catherine, thank you for this. Jumping into a new camera and new software means lots of human errors...
newtonsapple

Post by newtonsapple »

So I have been able to run standard stacks with the stackshot and Nikon Z50. The results are very nice.

If I shut the camera off, I need to reboot to reconnect the camera. Restarting Helicon remote alone doesn't work.

I would like to shoot in burst mode, but the "enable burst bracketing" box is greyed out. I can still hit the start burst button and it will shoot 25 or so images and then hang without moving the rail.
Capture.JPG
(247.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Also the auto step size calculation doesn't calculate anything at the moment. Clicking the DOF box brings the message to use the hyperfocal distance calculator. The lens I am using is not chipped, so helicon doesn't know the aperture that is set. What I do under preferences is set the stackshot "size of focusing steps" to .01mm. I use a another step size calculator to determine the step size in mm. I am shooting a Laowa 65mm F2.8 APO @ F5.6 2x magnification. The caluculator give me .12mm step sizes so I set the focus bracketing interval to 12. Is there a more automate way to have helicon remote determine the step size?
Last edited by newtonsapple on 26.06.2021 05:20, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

1. Having you tried power-cycling the camera instead of rebooting your PC? That should be enough. On the other hand, even power-cycling shouldn't be required, so I'm not sure what kind of a problem you've encountered.
2. The burst bracketing mode is not yet available in the beta version, we'll implement it later.
3. You can enter the F number and the focal length of your lens manually. Also, we've slightly improved the operation of the DOF calculator with Stackshot and Wemacro for the upcoming update, but you will still have to provide the required parameters if they can't be queried from the lens electronically.