Helicon Remote trial version and Canon 40d and Canon 7d

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Andre

Helicon Remote trial version and Canon 40d and Canon 7d

Post by Andre »

I'm trying Helicon Focus 5.0.
I, actually have the SLR Canon 40D and 7D

My first trial with the attached software REMOTE seems to not work with these 2 SLR.

Canon 7D

I can only take pictures in Automatic mode : Creative program but the different focus are not registred. It takes the same focus shot on each pictures.
When I trie to use the others modes, i.e. Manual, TV and AV mode, the mirror is up, ready to shot, but there is no shot at all. It seems to be freezed.

Canon 40D

It's possible to take pictures in Manual, TV and AV mode, the focus varies from one picture to the other as requested by the software but ONLY THE 8 FIRST IMAGES ARE TRANSFERED. After the 8th picture, the transferred freeze and I'm obliged to take the memory Card out. There is a message on the Canon 40D saying that transfert from one picture is running. I have waited moreorless 15min before to take the CF card out, but without success.
BrianS

Re: Helicon Remote trial version and Canon 40d and Canon 7d

Post by BrianS »

Stas,
Running HF Pro x64 V 5.0.10 - HR says version 1.14 beta

Am having the same problem as Andre with my 50D, i.e. in Auto shoot I get to 9 images and then it freezes. I can shoot manually (which still requires manual focus steps as well).

As I recall this was a problem with an earlier version? As I had the Dec 10 V5 version installed, could there have been a problem with the uninstall of HR that occurred when I installed 5.0.10?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Please send us a log of the previous session:
Helicon Remote Menu "Preferences\Tools\Log of previous session"
wjbruzek

Post by wjbruzek »

I'm using V5.0.10 Pro release, and having the same problem - everything freezes after the 6th frame. Task Manager shows Helicon using about 50% CPU.
wjbruzek

Post by wjbruzek »

I'm having the exact same problem with a Canon 5D MKii - I get to about 6 shots and then it hangs... Task Manager shows Helicon running 50% CPU. Helicon Remote V1.14 release 11, February 2010
Johannes Bergsten

Post by Johannes Bergsten »

Hi
I am having the same problem with a canon eos 7d, that all photos have the same focus. When trying to take a stack with helicon remote, all photos have focus at the same plane beacuse helicon remote seem to move the focus of the lesn for each step, but before the image is taken, the camera tries to autofocus back again, so that each image gets the same focus anyway. How can I fix this?
cheers
Johannes
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Johannes,

It seems that your cameras do autofocus before each shot. We were not able to reproduce this with Canon 5D MK II. We tried different camera settings but no luck.

Please rotate focusing ring to infinity and try to shot with Take picture. I wonder if camera will make autofocus in this case or not.
Johannes Bergsten

Hi
When focus is set to infinity and I "take picture" with Helicon Remote, the lens refocused (lens twisted ring to 0.39) before taking the shot.
Johannes
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Johannes,

I am glad that you located the bug. Now we have to find the way to find a solution for it. Please check if taking shot with Canon EOS Utility produces the same effect (refocusing). Make sure you are taking shot with Live View enabled. If Canon EOS also does refocusing then you need to check camera settings. Otherwise it is a bug in Helicon Remote.
Johannes Bergsten

Hi
When using live view mode with canon eos 7d utility, set the focus remotely through the program, and then takes the picture , the focus stays where it was set, camera does not refocus. So I guess it has to be the programming in Helicon remote as you say.
cheers
Johannes
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Johannes,

Thanks again for feedback. We will send you a new version by email for tests.