Advice for Shooting Jewelry

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
mpphoto

Advice for Shooting Jewelry

Post by mpphoto »

I have just downloaded Focus and Remote to use with a Nikon D3 and a MacBook Pro for a jewelry project. I have not yet set anything up, but I'm certainly going to do some testing before I'm on a job. Is there any advice before I begin? Is strobe better than continuous light? I've used both for jewelry, but that question is in regard to how Helicon Remote functions. It seems that exposure bracketing would not function well with strobes...? I would also expect that I would have to set intervals a few seconds apart for the strobes to recycle and not overheat. This is new territory for me and I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Advice for Shooting Jewelry

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I would prefer continuous light, it is much more stable as stobes. This might be crucial for final image quality. In ideal case all source image should have the same brightness. Please also make sure that during shooting there is no moving objects in the scene. Camera lens itself or you behind the camera may cast shadows on the object, try to avoid this.

There is an option in the Preferences to allow for flash recharge if case you need it.

Remember that we are mostly software developers and amateur photographers so that is you whom we will ask for advice :)