Android remote - couple of questions

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
louiscar

Android remote - couple of questions

Post by louiscar »

I just got this installed on my Asus Transformer and have a couple of questions:

1) Trying out the focus bracketing I found that once I had set A up and started to move the focus to the other end it switched to B automatically. Not sure why this is but I couldn't get A and B set unless I stop moving the focus just before it swapped over. Bug or is this a limitation?

2) I couldn't find a way to switch off live view to take pictures. Does live view have to be on all the time? I'd like to be able to use it as a plain remote sometimes without the live view unless necessary.

3) What enhancements are likely planned for this when it comes out of beta if anything?

Ok that was 3 questions .. I lied.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Android remote - couple of questions

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

1) It is to ensure A is always the point closer to camera and B is the further.

2) Depends on your camera. If it's Canon and autofocus feature is available in Remote - simply go to Preferences->Shooting and set "Disable live view during shooting". If it's Nikon or an older Canon, you'll have to set that preference and switch lens to MF.

3) At the moment we're working on adding network functionality and support for Canon WFT/Nikon WT modules. Image viewer and camera storage browser is also a high priority feature that you can expect relatively soon.
louiscar

Post by louiscar »

1) A was the farthest point, when I racked the focus towards the foreground it then switched to B
so I must make sure that A is the close focus? Ok I'll try that

2) Yes I have a Nikon but I couldn't see how to set the live view off. If I switch to manual focus perhaps then it will recognise it and allow. I'll test that

3) more functionality with Nikon would be good :-) Canon have a lot of choices for remote control but Nikon seems not to have that many.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

A and B will swap automatically when needed so that A is closer and B is further. You don't need to do anything about it.
louiscar

Post by louiscar »

ok Understood - once I got that it seems ok now.

The only niggle now is that sometimes it takes me quite a while to get it to recognise the camera. Remote will sometimes hang and I have to restart several time, turning camera on and off. Eventually it will see it and it seems to work ok after that. Is there a way that this would work more reliably. eg. should remote be started before the camera is turned on or plugged in?

A manual is always a good thing but somehow with Android software no one seems to bother.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Well, there is a "Help" button in the menu that leads to the general Remote help page (same for Android and desktop versions, but since interface is similar it shouldn't be too much of a problem). Android-specific manual is in work.
As for the problems connecting the camera: there are USB communication errors, we don't understand what's causing it, sadly. Users report this problem from time to time, but we can't reproduce it on the two Android devices and several cameras that we have. Sometimes they say it starts working fine after changing the cable, sometimes experimenting with the order of starting Remote and connecting the camera helps.
louiscar

Post by louiscar »

Yes, I thought that I had discovered that starting the app first is more reliable but once I got it communicating I couldn't repeat the connection errors and found that I could do either after that.

I will see if I can find out more but have to wait till the problem occurs again.

BTW. I am happy to be a beta tester for this if you need a guinea pig - as mentioned before I am using an Asus Transformer which is on ICS. I expect in time Asus will also release Jelly bean for the machine which will really make me nervous. :)

Camera is Nikon D700 but I have a friend who has a Canon 1DS Mk3 so can test both makes
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

1Ds Mk3 is definitely not a very common camera so it would be nice if you could test Remote with it (especially the new features - video recording and continuous shooting).
louiscar

Post by louiscar »

Ok, I'll get my mate to test the features and will report back
louiscar

Post by louiscar »

louiscar wrote:Ok, I'll get my mate to test the features and will report back
All works ok but 1ds mk3 doesn't do video, that is on the newer models I think.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

1Ds Mk III doesn't support remote control for video recording, only 1D Mk IV does.
Thanks for testing!