Stepping problems during shooting

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions

Re: Stepping problems during shooting

Post by Guest »

mtapes wrote:My problem is similar. When i produce the stack it is if the first few photos focus point moves slightly, but then nothing for the rest of the stack. In my case the fine move button does not work either. I have tracked it down to the NIKON preference setting. A step size of 9 or higher works, but 8 or less does not. I need a step size of 1 to work.

OS X 10.8.2
Nikon D600 85mmf1.8

Will now try a difference camera and lens.
The Canon 6D works with 70-300, but on the 135f2 where only the big step size works. So I guess I need to know how to know which step size will work for what camera/lens combinations. I always need the finest step size for my particular work in the lab.

Thanks.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

No idea. This is a lens-specific limitation, only experiment will tell.
Grayscale

Post by Grayscale »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:No idea. This is a lens-specific limitation, only experiment will tell.
I'm having the problem - focus not changing at all when capturing a stack - on all my lenses. I don't believe this is a lens specific issue.

If the ability to create stacks is limited to only a specific set of camera/lens combinations, it should be made clear before purchase.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

There is most likely a problem with your camera body settings. Please reproduce the problem (press any of the focus movement buttons several times) and send us a bug report (Help -> Report a bug).
willmcgugan

Post by willmcgugan »

I'm experience this problem with Canon 5D mk III. The disable live view setting appears to fix it. My guess is that it was something introduced with the latest firmware.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We've received reports that this might be caused by image review enabled in the camera body (not in Helicon Remote). Try disabling it in the camera. This only conerns Canon cameras.
erpman

Post by erpman »

I had this problem on Nikon d800 today. The problem occured only on long exposures, not shorter ones (>1/20). I disabled long exposure noise reduction in camera, and the problem disappeared. It seems that there could be something with the inconsistent write speed caused by the NR process that confuses the HR software. Using a slow card may help too.

Sats, you need to get an update to fix this asap, this is very impractical, and an error that is hard to notice in the field unless you have your eyes fixed on the focusing ring at all times. The whole point with remote is to get consistent results, and this can hardly be said to be contributing to that.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Unfortunately, we can't reproduce the problem so can't fix it. Tried with D800, about the same settings as yours - High ISO NR - High, RAW, leave in the camera, ISO 3200, exposure time 1/4s. No luck, works fine.