helion remote android and motorolla bionic cell phone

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
davek88

helion remote android and motorolla bionic cell phone

Post by davek88 »

Will helicon remote for android work on a Motorola bionic cell phone running android version 4.0.4?

When I have a Nikon D300 connected to my cell phone (the same as above), the program (2.6.5) lists no camera found.

This camera works without problems when connected to my pc (windows).

Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks,

dave
Stas Yatsenko

Re: helion remote android and motorolla bionic cell phone

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hello Dave, I believe your phone doesn't have USB host.
josephvmorris

Post by josephvmorris »

Stas,

I'm in a bit of a quandary here. Just what does one look for in the standard specs for Android smartphones to determine if they support USB host?

For example, GSMArena (http://www.gsmarena.com/) probably has the most detailed set of specs that's available for various phones, but USB host isn't something that I've ever seen listed there.

When I was checking out the Samsung Galaxy S III, I simply plugged it in (with a OTG cable) and it worked. But that doesn't strike me as the preferred solution when dealing with the question of selecting a new phone. :?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We very rarely see it being explicitly stated. Nothing beats actually trying it out. The second best solution is probably to make a list of models that you're interested with (by all the other, known parameters) and then Google whether your selected phones have USB host or not. There will be a discussion of it on one forum or another, from where you could learn about the phone's USB capabilities.
Keep in mind that some phones have the hardware but Android is configured to only detect several types of devices. Such phones will detect, for example, USB keyboards and mice, but not cameras. This information may be hard to find.
josephvmorris

Post by josephvmorris »

Just a bit of follow-up research on this subject.

A quick check of the Android phones on GSMarena.com yields about 37 phones that claim they're USB-host-compatible. Still, as others (and I believe you also) have pointed out, that doesn't always mean anything since, technically, USB host has been integral to Android since about version 3.1 and it was also back-engineered into some early Android releases on certain phone models. It's really not just a matter of what's provided for in the Android operating system, but whether the hardware on the device supports the functionality and whether the vendor/manufacturer has enabled the functionality. And this typically requires the acquisition of a USB OTG cable to use the functionality, but these are quite cheap (if, of course, you can find one that fits your phone).

So, if you've got a phone and you want to know whether it supports USB Host
, I've found a simple free utility called USB Host Diagnostics (on Google Play) that you can use to determine if USB Host is supported on your phone and whether it supports the functionality you need. So far, I've found that my Samsung Galaxy S III supports USB stereo headsets and mono microphones, keyboards, mice, flash (thumb) drives, and (of course) my camera. On the other hand, it will not support a Passport external hard drive. I suspect this is because the Passport requires more power than the USB port on the GS III can provide.

Still, that's not that much help if you're considering getting a new Android phone and would like to know (before you commit) whether it will support Helicon Remote. The developer of USB Host Diagnostics is trying to compile a certified list of what phones support what functionality, but every time I've tried to access the database it's hung my PC/browser or phone/browser. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Just thought I'd post that for enlightenment. :wink:
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

All good points, thanks for getting back with the information. The database is indeed extremely helpful, we never realized there is one. It's a huge HTML page that takes a bit to load, but once it's loaded there are no problems viewing it. Here's the link, by the way: http://usbhost.chainfire.eu/
Although, the database is not a reliable source of information either. For example, there are many entries for Samsung Galaxy S2 (i9100) with stock ROM that claim no USB support or require root. But our stock i9100 doesn't need root, and many our users have this phone, too, and don't need root either.
emmasanchez3

Post by emmasanchez3 »

any update on helion remote android and motorolla bionic cell phone

- - -

Emma Sanchez
emma.sanchez@iprice.sg/
https://iprice.sg/huawei/phones-tablets/smartphones/
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

It's a very old phone. If it doesn't detect your camera, try the troubleshooting steps: https://www.heliconsoft.com/faq-helicon-remote/#camera_not_detected
If nothing helps and Android itself doesn't detect the camera, then you'll know the phone doesn't have USB OTG capability.