WiFi solution - use same basic WiFi module as CamRanger?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
BrianS

WiFi solution - use same basic WiFi module as CamRanger?

Post by BrianS »

Hi Stas,
Glad to hear you are working on a WiFi solution.

Are you are of CamRanger - ? it appears they essentially use a $50 generic USB-Wi-Fi dongle that they have probably just re-branded.
This avoids the need for everyone to buy overpriced OEM WiFi dongles that often won't allow complex tethered shooting anyway.

This reviewer cleverly identified the dongle source :)
http://fstoppers.com/fstoppers-reviews- ... hered-ever

Whilst not at the same level as HR for stacking, their (more expensive BTW) tether software/dongle solution does perform similar functionality to HM.

With respect, I really think HeliconSoft need to chase this - if CamRanger can do it why not HeliconSoft?

Regards
Brian
BrianS

Update - sorry link was to the wrong review

Post by BrianS »

Oops,
This is the review that identified the actual dongle.
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/05 ... ss-tether/

BTW the dongle appears to be a TP-LINK TL-MR3040, see here at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088P ... oglapho-20
Stas Yatsenko

Re: WiFi solution - use same basic WiFi module as CamRanger?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

If you're suggesting we develop and sell hardware similar to Camranger - it's way too expensive, difficult and out of scope of what we do as a company.
BrianS

Not at all, just use the wi-fi dongle

Post by BrianS »

No not at all Stas,
But just as you appear be investigating how to use OEM dongles/inbuilt devices, why not investigate one device that could work with many cameras?
As far as I can see this dongle is designed to do the job - it would certainly boost the flexibility of Helicon Remote - and expand the user base beyond (I suspect) Helicon Focus customers who, I'm guessing are predominately micro/macro stackers shooting static objects quite close to the camera.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for the link. You are right, the hardware seems to be OK, I think the main problem is firmware of this device which was developed to work with external 3G modems and not cameras. Still, it is worth further investigation.
jhinkey

Post by jhinkey »

So what ever became of this?

It would be great if HR would work with this USB WiFi hardware. I really like HR, but am thinking of jumping ship to something that can use WiFi like the hardware linked to.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We're working on our solution which is using any device that runs Helicon Remote as a proxy instead of such Wi-Fi hardware (so you can connect a camera to Android phone or PC / Mac, and control it from another phone / PC / Mac or iPad). But we're not going to go Camranger route.
jhinkey

Post by jhinkey »

I take this to mean that you will only control cameras that have built-in WiFi.

That works fine for my Panasonic GX7, but leaves my D800 out in the cold.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We don't support Panasonic. Only Nikon and Canon DSLRs.
What I was trying to say is that you were suggestion a Wi-Fi router as a proxy for non-Wi-Fi cameras, and our solution is to use Android phone as a proxy instead (since all Android devices have Wi-Fi).
jhinkey

Post by jhinkey »

Ah I see. This would work for me as I always have my phone in the field anyways.
Plus my battery life using my phone with WiFi turned on is very very good (many many hours)
What's your time frame for coming out with this solution?
jhinkey

Post by jhinkey »

And actually, thinking about this again - I have an old/unused android phone that would be perfect for being used as the WiFi link as long as it's operating system is still supported.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Don't have any time frame at the moment. It'll take a couple months at least.
phototop2011

Post by phototop2011 »

Helicon Remote works with many wifi hardware. I used it with an asus WL-330N N150 WLAN AP, REPEATER,GATEWAY,BRIDGE (about 40$) and another one I got on ebay a Power-Bank-USB-Emergency-Battery-Charger-Compact-Wi-Fi-Pocket-Modem-Router. They both work without any problems. I can control the camera (Nikon D4 and Nikon D4s) wireless, change settings, take pictures and save them to the phone. Works absolutely perfect. There is no need of Nikon wifi stuff for 900$.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I have no idea what you did or how you did it. Did you use special firmware for those routers? Are you sure you're not confusing Helicon Remote with some other software?..
phototop2011

Post by phototop2011 »

Definitely not. I’m using helicon remote for Android for about two years. And it works absolutely perfect with three of my Wifi-adapters and my Nikon D4 and D4s. I configured them as standalone accesspoints, following the Helicon Remote and network cameras setup guide published on helicon website. One important step is, to turn off all other Wifi-Routers nearby except the one connected to the camera, when you setup the wireless connection for the very first time. The wifi-adapters also work with helicon remote for windows or with nikons camera control pro 2 and ViewNX and many other software.

There ist to say, that both Nikon D4 and D4s have a build in Ethernet port.