Please add a review after shot checkbox

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
D600vince

Please add a review after shot checkbox

Post by D600vince »

Hi Stas,

On mobile remote, I was surprised to not get a brief display of the just taken shots.
I think it'd be great if we had a checkbox next the take picture button reading "display shot". So of course, we cold have it disabled most of times, which is good not to slow down picture taking, but only enable it when useful.

You'll reply to me, hey there's the preview button for that. I agree, but it doesn't always works.

See, I recently was trying to photograph meteor shower. I was in complete dark, I planed to rely on remote to operate my camera and see the result. 10 s exposure to avoid star trails.

So from time to time, it'd fire a preview. I was overjoyed to notice I just captured 2 meteors, till I rememberer I was in preview ! So my picture wasn't recorded :-(

If the just taken photo would have been displayed, I'd only take real picture, and be able to use the displayed image to perfect settings or ensure the shot was good, while recording it. So I would have miss many less meteor than I did.

I did try the download to computer option, to have the picture in the gallery, but it's too slow to goes back and forth from gallery to remote

Thanks

P.S : As always, D600 + first nexus 7 + OTG cable
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Please add a review after shot checkbox

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hi,

We have actually added image review feature in the last version, 3.0. Surprised you didn't notice, it's enabled by default. Perhaps, you haven't upgraded yet? If you do have 3.0.0 or 3.0.1 version already - go to settings -> General and make sure "Image review" is not set to "Disabled". That will display every newly shot image for a specified number of seconds. You will be able to zoom in and pan around this image for studying details, of course. Review only works with single picture ("Take picture" button), it won't appear while you're shooting a series for that wouldn't make much sense.
D600vince

Post by D600vince »

Great,

You're right, I'm still in 2.6 something !
You're so fast :-)

I'll test asap, many thanks
D600vince

Post by D600vince »

Hi,

I tested and it doesn't work…
In fact it does work but it requires that the saving has to be set to move/copy the image to the "computer" the android device).

So it does not work if saving is set to leave in camera.
That's understandable from a technical standpoint. But not from a usage standpoint :

- It's contrary with the preview, taking a preview always work whichever the saving setting.
- Saving in "the computer" is not workable for me as it slows the image capture (30 MB RAW file) and uses too much storage on the Android device.
- The image review triggers only (or should) in single picture shooting, and/or only on the last captured image of an image sequence.
- Desiring to have a preview shouldn't impact the image sequence capture speed or force the user to copy/move image to "the computer"
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hi,

The last requirement is technically impossible to meet. You're basically saying that you want to download the image to review it, but you don't want to download it because it slows the shooting down. If you're shooting with "Leave in the camera" we could download it, display and then delete, that would be the right thing to do and we should do it. But there's still downloading to be done.
D600vince

Post by D600vince »

I only want the preview/review image to be downloaded ONCE :

1 - Single shot : image preview, so a download no problem. Since it's a scingle shot we have time. We expect this delay
2 - Burst shot : Only review the LAST image. So one download.
3 - Focus stacking / Exposure bracketing : Only review the LAST image. So one download.

Right now, if it check image review I'll have to also check image saving, and that single fact will slow images sequence capture.
That's not something a user can expect (because no messages warns him), plus it not practical : I would need to constanly check/uncheck image saving settings or risk to suffer longer image sequence capture than needed with unwanted downloads that will also eat space on my device.

4. Image preview works correctly as it doesn't need to change images saving settings

Basically I just want the image review to work like the image preview, which seems logical and consistant to me.

P.S : Image review could also perhaps be disabled for case 2 and 3 if it's easier for you
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It is currently disabled for cases 2 and 3 (and for time lapse - so you only get review for single shots). I don't see what reviewing the last image of a focus or expsoure bracketed series or time lapse series would accomplish, but reviewing the last image of a burst series might be useful. All good points, we will at least make review work for single shots without requiring you to change image download mode.
D600vince

Post by D600vince »

Yes, in focus stocking or bracketing, image review of last image is not that usefull. That was just theoretical thoughts.

But useful in burst and single shots.
Thanks