(Grid) Overlays on Liveview / preview / image review

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
D600vince

(Grid) Overlays on Liveview / preview / image review

Post by D600vince »

Hi,
Last night I was shooting with camera (D600, no swivel LC Screen) near the ground pointing up. Therefore I used remote as my viewfinder to frame the picture. It was architectural stuff, and I wanted to have perfect level, alignment, symmetry, parallelism.

Unfortunately, there's no grid view available contrary to the built-in live view of the D600.

So I think it would be very valuable to have a grid overlay on liveview image, as well as in preview / image review mode (to check with better resolution).

But it could be much much more powerful than standard grid : if you'd allow to customize grid à la photoshop, were you can place vertical an horizontal line at will it will help a lot to ensure some feature that are off centered are aligned.

And if you'd allow us to draw some geometric shapes like squares, rectangle, circles; diagonals, lines it would be a tremendendous, tremendous tool for every Architectural, reproduction photogs because those shapes will help to get perfect parallelism.

If you can spot a rectangle feature in your frame, just draw a rectangel of the same dimension, and then moves the camera accordingly to match the drawn rectangle to the rectangle image feature. That way you can achieve perfect level and parallelism easily.

You may argue it's not helicon's remote raison d'être, but in fact it is, because you want to use focus stacking. Cause precise alignement pertains to relatively closeup subjects with wide angle lenses, which are the perfect candidate to use focus stacking.

I think it will expand helicon market share to architectural, objects, reproduction shooters.

P.S : If anyone as a trick to achieve perfect parallelism of a camera focus plane to a wall, I'd be glad to hear :-)
D600vince

Re: (Grid) Overlays on Liveview / preview / image review

Post by D600vince »

Of course, if we could put a picture as an overlay with opacity and fusion method control that coud be also interesting (placeholder, cache, masks etc). Or onion skining with previous image framing to compare both
Stas Yatsenko

Re: (Grid) Overlays on Liveview / preview / image review

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Actually, there is grid in Remote, check settings -> Interface -> Show grid. The rest is a good idea, although not something that can be implemented overnight. We'll discuss it, thank you.