capture rate

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
mrose

capture rate

Post by mrose »

Hello, I am a new user and am experimenting with the trial version of Remote 3.2.7.w.
using a Nikon D610. I understand that this is a "disabled" version so I do not know the capabilities of the full s/w. The rate of the shutter releases seems very slow, when the camera is capable of more especially with AFS lenses. Can this be adjusted in s/w? Otherwise it seems limited to indoor studio work :cry: . Thanks.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: capture rate

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hello,

It's not "disabled", the only difference between demo and full software is RAW shooting option, and trial is fully functional (just for a limited period of time).
As for the shooting rate - it depends on what exactly your use case is, but generally there's no way to make it faster.
If you're doing a lot of focus bracketing, you might be interested in the new "burst bracketing" feature that we're working on, which boils down to installing the camera on the Stackshot macro rail and shooting the whole focus stack in a matter of seconds by combining continuous shooting with continuous rail movement.
MakroPeter

Post by MakroPeter »

Hello Stas,
I'm new to Helicon too and I tried my first focus stack shoot. (Canon EOS450D and Canon EF 100mm 2,8 L IS USM, Android Tablet Galaxy Tab3)
When I try to set the focus spots in Live view Mode (usage of the blue arrows to modify the focus steps) it is very very slow and it takes a very long time to set the nearest and farest point. The automatic shoot takes as long too.
You mentioned the burst mode you work on. Does this mode speeds my problem up? When do you expect to release a Beta or final Update?
Is there a difference between Android and PC Version?

Best regards
Peter
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hello Peter,

The burst mode needs a Stackshot macro rail, which is only supported on Mac / Windows, not Android. That's pretty much the only difference at this time.
Do you have ultrasonic or mechanical motor lens?
Tom727

Post by Tom727 »

Dear developers,
I am wondering why the capture rate is so low. Actually, the current exposure rate of one frame per 4-5 sec. is not useful for macro stacking of living animals e.g. insects. Of course the rates are limited by the speed of changing the focus position and by the data processing power of the actual camera model, which usually allows something between 4 to 10 pics/sec in standard DSLR cameras.The focus position is pre-calculated for a stack and there is no need to make autofocus or such time-consuming stuff during the capture.
Why don't you make the capturing algorithm in such a way, that first lock the mirror up, and then make the shots during the mirror stays locked up with a rate allowed by the pause setting between focus steps under Settings/Canon (a few ms) and the storing rate of the actual camera model. At the end of the stack record release the mirror. (For such fast recording I would leave the pictures in the camera memory without downloading onto the phone or computer.)
Since the mirror is not moving between the subsequent frames and most of the macro objectives have fast ultrasonic focusing capabilities a high burst rate could be allowed without the risk of shaking the camera. In this case it would be possible to reach several Hz recording rate without the need of the external rail.
Such a fast burst mode would be highly desirable!
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

What you currently see is the best rate possible for remote control operation, short of taking a burst shot (which cannot be combined with moving focus position, so that's out of the picture). There are many delays that must be held for remote control to work.
As for the mirror, it should and will stay locked with all modern cameras, unless you've set Shooting -> Activate live view when taking a shot to "No". Only older Nikons cannot lock the mirror up (prior to D800).
gjpcybx

Post by gjpcybx »

Hello,
Sorry to ask but is there any link with a step by step to configure the burst shooting mode with Helicon remote in windows?
I have a Nikon D600, I configured the rate in Helicon remote but when I start the burst mode, the camera shoot but the Stacksot rail don't want to move frome/to the points I defined...
Thanks a lot.

Cyril
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Unfortunately, we don't have a manual yet (working on it).
Please reproduce the problem and send a bug report (Help -> Report a bug).