Will Helicon Remote ever support Sony A7 cameras?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
guillaume

Re: Will Helicon Remote ever support Sony A7 cameras?

Post by guillaume »

Hello ,
Is the compatibility with A6400 planed ?
The new sony imaging edge software provide step focus ,
you can even find a script done by a guy here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY_YheIUXz8 .
I (as many other ..) would buy ur soft if sony compatibilty is ok .

regards,
gui
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Not at this moment, but we're working on A7 R III, that may enable us to support other new Sony cameras in the future.
arthurgunawan

Post by arthurgunawan »

That is wonderful news! any ETA?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

We do plan to support Sony cameras, but there's still quite a lot of work to do about it, so we can't give a time estimate yet. We can already say that we will only support Sony A7 III / A7 R III. Older cameras will not be supported since they do not have the functionality needed for Helicon Remote to be able to work with them.

Post by andymiller »

Hey guys! Any updates on Sony A7r III and A7 cameras? :D
Klinke

Post by Klinke »

We are now on Sony A7 R4 ... will there ever be something here to use those?

Looks a little bit strange that this takes years! :twisted:
2hebe

Post by 2hebe »

I would like to add my encouragement for Sony A7rIII camera support. I had been using Helicon with my Canon 5dMIII, but I much prefer the Sony and would LOVE to continue to use Helicon Remote. I've been checking the Helicon support and forum pages for three years now and all I've seen is "we're working on it." I am a software developer and I appreciate all that goes into designing, testing and releasing a new product. Just know that for every person who goes to the trouble to register for the forum in order to provide feedback (as I just did), there are probably dozens of users who would like this functionality, but didn't want to go through the hassle of registering. (As an aside, the registration process was not at all invasive of personal information compared to other sites--thanks for that.)
tibetsmoke00

Post by tibetsmoke00 »

Any plans for a7riii and a7iii? New user and curious in case I missed something.

I know the a7riv is brand new.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

The next version of Helicon Remote will support Sony A7(R)III. We also intend to support A7RIV in the future, but the current beta doesn't support this camera body yet. Sony A7 II and earlier models will not be supported due to technical limitations of these camera bodies.
Klinke

Post by Klinke »

That sounds there is something going on ... and has to - as successful as the Sony system is on the market ... :wink:

Any idea how long it will take to support the A7RIV as well hopefully NOT another year ... :roll:
Klinke

Post by Klinke »

Nothing new here?!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

You are welcome to download the beta version with support of A7III and A7RIII from our website: https://www.heliconsoft.com/software-downloads/#beta
Version with A7RIV support is undergoing primary testing.
Klinke

Post by Klinke »

I would love to ... but I am already on A7R4 ... so have to wait.
MartaPe

Post by MartaPe »

Hi there, did anyone here have a go with the beta version of Helicon remote with Sony a7III?
I am new to Helicon and I have downloaded the beta but I am a bit lost - all published guidelines are for either Canon or Nikon, and I can't find anything that could help with the setup of sony.
Did anyone make it work? Have you found some guidelines that could help with Sony? From connecting to controlling the camera, honestly, I can't seem to make it work at all! :(
Any ideas would be more than welcome!

Additional info: I am connected via USB to pc. The computer recognises the camera, and Helicon also notes it's there, but the live view is off and none of the settings seem to be active :(
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

MartaPe wrote: 07.10.2020 16:38 Hi there, did anyone here have a go with the beta version of Helicon remote with Sony a7III?
Hi, the problem is most likely with the camera body settings, but since Sony cameras are still somewhat new to us and many of their quirks remain to be discovered, we don't have a complete settings guide.

Here's something to get you started.
1. Make sure you have the latest version of Helicon Remote. Redownload and install it right now to be certain you have the latest update: https://heliconsoft.com/downloads/HeliconRemoteBeta.exe
2. Turn pixel shift off in the camera. This may not be strictly required but we didn't test pixel shift yet.
3. Turn off all sorts of in-camera bracketing - HDR, noise reduction. This is definitely required.

If it still doesn't work, send a bug report from Helicon Remote (menu - Help - Report a bug) while the camera is connected.