Bulb mode, even when not supported

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Ragge

Bulb mode, even when not supported

Post by Ragge »

There is only one reason that I have to use another app, from one of your competitors, instead of HR. That is when my camera is not physically accessible during shooting, and I have to control the camera settings 100 % from the app.

I know that Bulb is not supported over usb on my Nikon D7000, but please let me set Bulb mode when LiveView is not active. I would like to frame & focus my target etc via LiveView with 1/30 sec, and when I am ready to shoot I would just stop LiveView, set Bulb and start shooting (with the serial trigger cable, not via usb).

That is the way I work with the other app, and it works great. But I would still prefer to work with HR if it only was possible.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Bulb mode, even when not supported

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

This requires some thinking. There's no technical problem with it, other than you won't be able to take BULB shots via the app. But it'll be a source of confusion and complaints from people who set BULB mode and don't understand why it's not working.
Ragge

Post by Ragge »

I agree that confusion must be avoided.
But maybe something like this could work :
When attempting to activate LiveView or the shutter trigger during Bulb mode with these camera models, just show a pop up message "Not supported in Bulb mode on this camera model. Change shutter speed".

By the way, if I turn on LiveView with the on-camera buttons on my D7000 while Bulb is active, the camera will change to 1/30 s without telling me. That was a source of confusion until I found out. So I think it is best to deny the operation until the user has set a working shutter speed.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

That's not a bad option. I'll consider it and will reply later.