Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 compatible with Remote on iPad?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 compatible with Remote on iPad?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I see, thanks. This may be fixed in the upcoming update (but we won't know for sure until you or other people with this problem try it out). Is this on iOS or Android?
Helgo

Post by Helgo »

I recognized the problem when using iOS. I don't have the possibility to check with Android.

Helgo
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Then we can't offer anything for you to try ahead of time, we'll have to wait until the next iOS update comes out. There's a 50/50 chance that the problem will be gone then.
Helgo

Post by Helgo »

Stas,

when do you think, you can provide the next iOS update? I hope within the 30 days test period ;-)

Helgo
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It will most likely be less than 30 days, but there is no trial period on iOS so that's not a concern.
ngerard1

Post by ngerard1 »

Hello Stas,
Thank you for your help, with your last advices I can connect Remote, on iPad, to my Canon 5Ds with a W-E1 card. Live view works. I start to take a series of 5 pictures. And then it stops, stucked after the second one... I have to restart everything (wifi connection, relaunch Remote...). In the settings I have asked to keep the images on the camera. Same thing happens!
What do I miss or forget?
Big progress, but still not fully operational.
Regards
Gerard
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

This may be fixed in the upcoming update. We've already uploaded it to App Store, but it will only become available in a couple days.
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

I tried the 3.9.7 iPad update with the Canon 7D2 + W-E1 combination. The behavior is exactly the same as before. I was able to change exposure, set the near and far focus points, return to the beginning focus point, hit the start shooting button, first shot fired, second shot fired, time out error. This works fine wirelessly from a Windows 7 netbook, but not from an iPad.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We're studying your bug report. Do you connect this camera to Windows with absolutely the same camera settings, or do you change anything? Smartphone mode, direct connection to the Wi-Fi network created by the camera? Same image saving settings on Windows? Basically, I'm looking for any possible tiniest difference between the operation of the Windows program and iOS app that could be linked to the error occurring.
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Hi Stas,
Just to be absolutely certain I ran a new test. Using a Windows 10 laptop and Remote version 3.9.7W I was able to set up a wireless connection with a Canon 7D2 using a W-E1 wireless adapter. I successfully shot a 51 stack sequence. I had requested that the images stay in the camera, but noted that an empty folder was created in the "pictures" directory of the laptop. Touching the camera only to establish a new wireless connection to an iPad I attempted to set up the same sequence. The first three shots of the sequence were indeed taken and saved to the camera, then the process stalled and a time out error message was delivered to the iPad. I'm really suspicious of the empty folder that is being created since IOS is so protective of how apps operate and use resources. Is it possible that Remote is attempting to write the empty folder to a location that Remote does not have permission to write to? Where would one even look to see if an empty folder was successfully written or not on an iPad?
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Hi Stas,
Here is the image created using a wireless connection between 3.9.7W on a windows 10 laptop and a Canon 7D2 + W-E1 wireless adapter. I attempted to duplicate using an IOS iPad, but the application issued a timeout error after taking 3 frames.
Compound_Idler_small.jpg
(1.29 MiB) Not downloaded yet
ngerard1

Post by ngerard1 »

Canon 5Ds, Helicon Remote 3.9.7 on iPad with latest OS.
Still the same problem. Remote freezes after the second shot.
Even if the release says "Wireless operation problem with recent Canon bodies fixed"!
Regards
Gerard
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It was a different issue that was fixed. For what it's worth, we still don't list W-E1 as compatible (and never did).

Brent, thanks for repeating the test. The empty folder poses no problems on iOS, and, unfortunately, the error couldn't be attributed to it. So basically, we have no idea what's going on. We couldn't find any opportunity to rent a camera body compatible with W-E1, now we'll consider buying one. Until then, I don't think there's a way we can troubleshoot this.
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Thank you Stas. It feels like Remote is so very close to working with the W-E1 wireless adapter on IOS. The W-E1 and Remote work with perfection on Windows laptop wireless connections and that is enough.
valemtonnt

Post by valemtonnt »

If you like to shoot tethered, this is the same thing but without the cable. You can use the EOS software on your computer or smart phone and have instant access to the images you take, and you can control the camera. the only Con I have is that it does chew on the power, but nothing is for free.