Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 compatible with Remote on iPad?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Catherine

Re: Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 compatible with Remote on iPad?

Post by Catherine »

shubharora734 wrote: 11.12.2020 19:04 I have the 5DsR with the W-E1 and can confirm that Helicon Remote 3.9.1 will not connect to it from desktop, Android, or IOS.
This is why W-E1 was never listed among the supported Wi-Fi options. However, now it does work in the latest Helicon Remote beta version (4.0.4) available for Windows, Mac and Android (and we're working hard on the iOS version as well) - scroll down to the "Beta" section of the Downloads page.
gordone22

Post by gordone22 »

When I originally ordered the remote version, it was with the understanding that Helicon would get it working on the WiFi card on the 7D2/5DS-R. This has never happened after several years, even though other free APPs have made it work.
Hopefully the new version will solve this? It would be nice but I am skeptical since Helicon was taking a totally wrong design approach to it. It has to connect on the same SET structure as Canon Connect and Cascable APPs m. Disappointing that Helicon never borrowed at 7D2 or 5DS/R to test and debug it on. I sent debug file info to Helicon but it never happened. I have used CamRanger instead for focus stacking ( which was my only purpose for purchasing Helicon Remote). Guess is was waisted money
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

gordone22 wrote: 13.12.2020 02:00 Hopefully the new version will solve this?
It already did. But yes, it took a long time despite your best efforts in trying to help us with it a couple years ago, for which we are grateful.
gordone22 wrote: 13.12.2020 02:00 Helicon was taking a totally wrong design approach to it. It has to connect on the same SET structure as Canon Connect and Cascable APPs m.
Could you clarify what you mean? Why is it wrong, and what do you think would be right?
gordone22

Post by gordone22 »

Hi Catherine

Does the new version work on the 7D2 and 5DS-R with the W-E1? I have not tried it to see.

The reason I say wrong design approach is that you are allowed I believe a maximum of 4 Sets to be stored so that you don’t have to enter a wifi passcode every time you connect a camera to a device. I have an iPad and an iPhone and a 7D2 and a 5DS-R, so this uses all 4 sets in the camera/Wi-fi. If I connect to Canon Connect it automatically connects to the correct camera or device. If I use Cascable to connect, it connects with the same Set and all is well. If I try using Helicon, it will not connect with these Sets and I have to delete/ overwrite and put in new wifi passcode for Helicon. So my point is that Canon Connect and Cascable are using a compatible design and Helicon is not, so it makes my life difficult to use. That’s why I have not even tried Helicon in the last two or three years. If you have tested the new version and say it works with the same sets as Canon Connect and Cascable on the 7D2 and 5DS-R, let me know and I will start using it.

Thx
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Now I understand your point, thank you for the explanation. I believe this is also fixed in the beta version of Helicon Remote, but we will double-check. And the W-E1 certainly works now, also in the beta version. With that being said, the beta version of the app is still not available publicly for iOS yet (only Windows, Mac and Android right now), but we're putting on the final touches and are going to make it available to everyone on iOS very soon.
gordone22

Post by gordone22 »

That’s good news and I will watch for iOS availability to test it out.
topmintone

Post by topmintone »

I have the 5DsR with the W-E1 and can confirm that Helicon Remote 3.9.1 will not connect to it from desktop, Android, or IOS. vidmate insta save
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

topmintone wrote: 20.03.2021 08:58 I have the 5DsR with the W-E1 and can confirm that Helicon Remote 3.9.1 will not connect to it from desktop, Android, or IOS. vidmate insta save
But it will with the beta version of Helicon Remote for Windows, Mac and Android, available for download from our website (scroll down a bit).