Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 compatible with Remote on iPad?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
brentbristol

Re: Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 compatible with Remote on iPad?

Post by brentbristol »

Hi Stas,
I recently replaced my dead Canon 7D with the 7D2. It came with the W-E1 wireless adapter. Reading through the discussion in this thread I was able to set up a dedicated connection set on my iPad for the camera and have been able to get the Helicon Remote app to work with the camera. Connecting to the iPad and the app is now very easy and repeatable. I have been able to turn on live view, adjust the shutter speed, f stop, and iso. On the setup up dialog I was able to request leaving the images on the camera. I don't want to transfer them to the ipad wirelessly, but just read them from the card using a usb card reader to a Windows computer later. On the focus tab I have been able to set the near and far focus points and step through the focus points. When I click on the start shooting button the app successfully takes a first shot, advances the focus to the next step, take a second shot, then everything stops. After a long period of time I get a message that there was a time out waiting for an image from the camera even though I requested images to stay on the camera. I'm interested in purchasing the fully capable ios app and creating raw image files, but am put off by the behavior of the free version. It feels like it is very close to working well, but gets stuck due to some minor bug. Is there anything that I can do to help HeliconSoft sort out the issue?

Best Regards,
Brent Bristol
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We've seen your bug report sent from the app (thanks for that, much more informative than just the verbal description), and it was unclear what's happening so we didn't reply right away. One thing I've noticed is that you have indeed configured the app to not download images, but it has been downloading them because it couldn't detect whether a memory card was inserted into the camera. Can you please confirm that you have a working memory card and the camera has no problem storing images on this card when shot handheld?

Of course, no errors should occur even when downloading the images so something else isn't working right, either. Not sure what. We don't have this exact camera body to test with. Let's figure out the memory card problem first.
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Hi Stas, thank you for the reply. A CF card was in memory slot 1 and the W-EI wireless adapter was in slot 2, (SD). The W-E1 adapter does not have any memory on the card. This is a CF card that I have used for years and successfully used it this morning. In the recent past I was able to shoot a stack with the windows version of Remote and send the files to an external drive without a card in the camera, but in this instance there was a card in the camera.
Best Regards,
Brent Bristol
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I see. It could be that the W-E1, being a "fake" SD card, confuses Helicon Remote, although that's not supposed to happen. But neither does the timeout error. I'm really not sure how to go on about this, need to be able to reproduce the error on my computer in order to work on it. I'll think about; sorry I don't have anything else right now.
JimGnitecki

Post by JimGnitecki »

BrentBristol and Stas: I got it all to work on my Canon 7d Mark 2. Review the stepsI had to take by examining my earlier posts on this thread.

Jim G
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Thank you Stas and Jim. I will clear everything out and try it again this weekend. It seemed like much of Jim's earlier posts were related to maintaining a wifi connection between the ipad and camera. I have been able to do that with no problem using a dedicated "set3". No problem to see through the camera in live view on the app, and set up near and far focus points. The trouble only comes when I click on "start shooting". Communication is not dropped, just the time out error.
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

OK, I completely restored my iPad and only added the Helicon Remote app back on. I deleted all of the wireless sets on the camera and made a new one devoted to the iPad to use with Helicon Remote. As usual I was able to connect with and control the camera from the app. I set up the near and far focus points, hit the “start shooting” button, then nothing...after a few minutes I got the error message “Timeout was reached while waiting for the image from the camera.” The Canon 7D2 is running on firmware 1.1.2, the iPad is running on IOS 11.4, and the memory card is a Transcend UDMA 64GB 400X card that seems to work with no issues. I’m using the Canon W-E1 adapter. There are four lines of info on the adapter face. In case they mean something to anyone they are as follows:

DS586101 IC:498J:238
CMIT ID: 2016DJ1371
FCC ID: AZD238
007-AE0039

Jim, what Canon firmware, IOS version, and memory card are you using? I can’t imagine that a memory card that is working normally otherwise would cause a problem, but who knows.

Incidentally I have been able to take single frames remotely using the canon connect app using the same card. The Helicon Remote app is what I would have hoped the Canon app to be, and given that Jim has gotten it to work it feels like some very minor thing must be missing in my setup.

Best Regards,
Brent Bristol
JimGnitecki

Post by JimGnitecki »

Canon 7d Mark 2 with Firmware version 1.1.2

IOS 11.4

Sandisk Extreme Pro 32MB (160 MB/sec Compact Flash card - one of the very few that can keep up with a 7d Mark 2 when in continuous photos mode)

Jim G
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Jim Gnitecki: Thank you for your reply and interest in the issue. We are using the same firmware and IOS versions. Hard to imagine that the card brand/speed should make a difference in the app’s ability to recognize that a memory card is present, but stranger things have happened, might be worth a shot and I could use a faster card anyway.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It definitely shouldn't make a difference according to common sense, but strange things do happen in complex systems, and any modern piece of electronics like a DSLR is definitely a complex system.
As I mentioned earlier, the memory card is not being detected by the app. If it was detected, the app would work. And as we said in a reply to your recent e-mail, we're working on a workaround.
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Thank you Stas. I understand that it is very complicated to keep such an app working on so many different camera's on so many different operating systems, particularly so for iOS.
Helgo

Post by Helgo »

Hi,

I have the same problem using iPhone, EOS 7D II, W-E1 and CF Lexmark Professional 800x 64GB UDMA 7.
USB is not supported for iPhone, so I wanted to test wireless connection before buying the whole package. Unfortunately without success.

Best regards,
Helgo
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It works for some users.
"Without success" is a very vague description, what exactly isn't working?
gordone22

Post by gordone22 »

Stas. You really need to rent/borrow a 7D2 and the wifi card and get to the bottom of this. The main problems are the need of a dedicated set that is not required by other apps as well the bugs that other people are reporting. I bought the Helicon Remote app and was able to finally get it to connect with a special Set but have never used it since. I end up using the Canon Connect or CamRanger
Helgo

Post by Helgo »

Exactly tue same problem as descrived by Jim. It works well as long as I don't take ans pictures. One picture is also ok. But it is not saved anyway. After taking a second picture, the app doesn't reply anymore.

Helgo