Nikon 300mm PF

JonRei

Nikon 300mm PF

Post by JonRei »

Is there anyone out there that has any experince with FB Tube on Nikon PF lenses. I'm not able to get this lense to focus. Could there be any firmware upgrades to support this relatively new lens architecture?
andrewlamberson

Re: Nikon 300mm PF

Post by andrewlamberson »

Were you able to get it to work? My Tube is coming Wednesday and I really want to use in on my 300 PF.

Thanks!
JonRei

Post by JonRei »

Yes, it is working. Not sure what actually has changed, but never the less, it works.
andrewlamberson

Post by andrewlamberson »

It works great on my D500 and 300 PF but my process might be a little different.
1. I always use a tripod. I am not physically capable of keeping the camera still enough to keep the focus on the point I want. Even breathing in and out changes the focal point!
2. I use the lens in AF.
3. I often use the camera AF to get close to the focus point and then turn it off and manually focus for the exact focus I want.
4. Figuring out what the closes point is on the target is a significant issue!
5. I am not confident that I am using the correct "recommended step" (120) If I am using the tube for macro of a dragonfly (for example) I only get 3 shots to stack.
6. If I use a higher step value will I get smaller steps and therefore more usable images?

I need to use the 300mm vs my 105mm because the Dragonflies won't let me get close enough for the 105mm

What step values are you using for a macro shot?
JonRei

Post by JonRei »

If you get the dragonfly all sharp with only three photos in the stack, you have achieved the purpose. For small apperture and some distance, this might be fine. I step 60 for my 300 PF at f8. Smaller number gives less focus change and more photos in the stack, the opposite of what you say. For my Micro Nikkor 105/2.8, I use step 80 at f8.