Problem using Canon 1DX2 and EF100f2.8 IS USM L

jmalls

Problem using Canon 1DX2 and EF100f2.8 IS USM L

Post by jmalls »

No photos are being taken when I operate the iPhone, camera, FB tube and lens. Can you help?

Equipment:
• Canon 1DX2; Camera settings are: Manual, One-shot, Evaluative, AWB, Drive is silent, low, continuous, Shutter and ISO are to suit prevailing conditions. Back button focus and live view are set on.
• Canon EF100f2.8 IS USM L lens; AF, IS = off, the focusing range is correct.
• Helicon FB Tube
• Helicon magnetic lead connected to the tube in the proper orientation so the magnet connects the lead to the tube.
• Apple Lightning to 1/8” adaptor cable
• Apple iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 14.5. Volume is set to maximum
• Apple MacBook Pro (late 2019) with Big Sur 11.2.3. Volume is set to maximum

Operation with the FB Tube attached to the iPhone.
I have completed the following steps:
1. Downloaded and installed the Helicon FB software
2. Attached Helicon FB Tube to camera body, attached lens to tube, attached Apple connector to Helicon magnetic lead, attached Helicon magnetic lead to FB tube.
3. Run the Helicon FBT app on my iPhone 11 Pro
4. The basic settings are:
4.1. Camera type: Canon
4.2. Crop Factor: Full Frame
4.3. Lens: Canon EF100f2.8 IS USM L lens
4.4. Aperture: 8
4.5. Recommended Step: 20
4.6. Direction: To Infinity
4.7. Suppress Focus: No

5. Note that the configuration settings within the Helicon FBT app are:
5.1. Settings: Alt config method = no; Magnetic cable = yes
5.2. Firmware = 1.3.12, date 2016-12-27
5.3. Lens data: Update lens data has no settings; Send data = yes
5.4. Return back to the Helicon FBT app.

6. When in Live View, I press Send and the following happens:
6.1. The word Send disappears,
6.2. A zero appears for 0.5 seconds then disappears,
6.3. The word stop appears.
6.4. Along-side is a counter, counting down in seconds from 12 to 0. During the countdown, the light on the FB Tube does not flash any colour.
6.5. The word Stop disappears and the word Send reappears.
6.6. No photographs are taken.

Operation with the FB Tube attached to the MacBook Pro.
I have completed the following steps:
7. Run the Helicon FBT app on my MacBook Pro
8. The basic app and configuration settings are as for the iPhone 11 Pro (though without the Lightning connector).
9. In Live View, I press Send and the following happens:
9.1. The word Send disappears,
9.2. The word stop appears.
9.3. Along-side is a counter, counting down in seconds from 12 to 0. The light on the FB Tube flashes twice per second in the form of dot, dash; dot, dash; etc. The colour is green.
9.4. The word Stop disappears and the word Send reappears.
9.5. No photographs are taken.

Operation with the FB Tube attached to nothing.
If I ignore the Helicon FBT app, focus on a near object and simply press the shutter button on continuous for say 20 shots, focusing will shift on each image towards infinity so communication between the shutter button and the Helicon FB Tube is taking place. The green light on the tube will flash once at the end of each exposure.

Operation with a different camera.
I have repeated all above settings with a Canon 1Dmk4 camera and the EF24-70f2.8L lens instead of the 1DX2 and EF100f2.8 IS L lens and the results are exactly the same, i.e. when the Send button is pressed, it still doesn’t control the shutter. This proves the fault does not lie with the camera, the lens, the iPhone, the MacBook Pro.

Comment on usage.
I have fitted a rubber skin to the outside of the 1DX2 but because the magnetic connector is so close to the camera body, in order to operate the Helicon equipment, I have to remove the rubber protection skin. I’ve got to admit that I’m not a fan of the magnetic connector as it is just too close to the body.

Question:
Can you please explain how I get the app on either the MacBook Pro or the iPhone to communicate with 1DX2, FB Tube and EF100f2.8 IS lens to take the required number of photos or does it not work with my setup?
jmalls

Re: Problem using Canon 1DX2 and EF100f2.8 IS USM L

Post by jmalls »

I'm disappointed with the lack of response.
Nevermind, I'll try emailing the company directly...
jrhoffman75

Post by jrhoffman75 »

Hello. I just saw your post.

I have a similar configuration, but have a 1D X Mark III.

The steps you posted for connection to the iPhone just load the data into the FBT.

After you load the data you operate the camera to take the photos.

You need to be sure that the camera does not go to sleep while you are transferring data from the iPhone to the FBT, and need to keep the camera powered up after you load the data.

How are you connecting the FBT to your computer? I believe the FBT is only usable with a smartphone.
jmalls

Post by jmalls »

I send the data from my iPhone 11 Pro to the 1DX2 using an Apple headphone adapter (female 1/8” to male lightning connector) as well as the existing Helicon magnetic lead.

I’ve realised that the lead is there just to transfer the settings from the app to the Helicon adapter. Once in, I can just press the shutter button and the lens advances through the focusing range until I stop shooting.

It isn’t like some other equipment that allows you to set the start and end points of focus then set the step distance or the number of shots

With the Helicon FB Tube, you have to guess when you’ve reached the end point.