Cognisys StackShot

sacentre

Cognisys StackShot

Post by sacentre »

Hi

Is anyone using the StackShot rail and controller from Cognisys? I really like the look of this system and was wondering if anyone had used one or had any comments about it. I'm planning to use it with the Canon 5D2 and MP-E 65.

Regards

Trevor
wsi

Re: Cognisys StackShot

Post by wsi »

The stackshot seems to work well. I am having problems with depth of field but the hardware works well. I have taken over 700 frames so far without an issue.
wsi

Post by wsi »

I have done more work with the Stackshot. The device is very flexible. Read the manual very careful. If it does not do what you want it to do then you are probably using the wrong feature. For example, I thought in the Total Distance method I could set 20 steps with a distance of 10mm to cover 200mm. I was confused when the rail didnt move much. In this method the distance is divided by the number of steps so the distance you enter is the total distance not the step size times the distance. it makes a large difference 200 mm distance 40 steps has each step at 5mm...much better. Experiment. If it doesnt look right then read the manual again. I have shot thousands of frames without an equipment problem...as for reading...well... I am working on that.
Nezih Cakir

Post by Nezih Cakir »

I just received my StackShot and trying to experiment with Auto-Step (I thought that starting with the Auto Mode will be pretty easy).
I just kept the defaults 10 steps and 1 picture a step.
I use Olympus E-30 and I have StackShot connected to the camera with Cognisys SC-OLY-01 Shutter Cable.
I pick a Starting Point and End Point and it looks like everything working with the hardware/camera but at the end of 10 steps I only get 1 picture as opposed to the 11 (1 at the begging and 10 for the total of steps) as was stated in the manual.
I read the manual quite a few times already and cannot figure out the problem.
Thank you
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Does the camera make 10 movements with pause between theme where the shots are supposed to be?
Please repeat the 10 steps sequence and send us a bug report (Help->Report a bug) after that.
DrD

Post by DrD »

Nezih Cakir wrote:I use Olympus E-30 and I have StackShot connected to the camera with Cognisys SC-OLY-01 Shutter Cable.
I am using an Olympus E-30 and the Cognisys Stackshot Macro Rail, too. Although it is possible to connect the camera directly with the Stackshot by the USB-cable, I use the Cognisys Universal IR Remote to trigger the camera. This Remote control is triggered by the Stackshot Control resp. by Helicon Remote. The Stackshot control is connected via USB to the Computer, and I use Helicon Remote to configure the settings for the stacks (distance, time etc.). Then I can use the free USB port at the camera to connect it with the computer. With the software Olympus Studio 2.30 I see the photos immediately at the screen, that is quite comfortable to test the settings of Helicon Remote as well as the light etc.

DrD