Focus stacking + exposure bracketing

The place to post and discuss images. And the ways to postprocess them.
scott3583

Focus stacking + exposure bracketing

Post by scott3583 »

Hi,

I just discovered this website today. Results in peoples images are awesome!

I like to shoot landscapes/city scapes. And I use exposure bracketing on my Nikon d7200 and most often use 3 bracketed images. I combine using Aurora 2019 and then further editing in Luminar 4.

The only thing I've been missing and wanting is Focus Stacking. Is there a way using the Helicon Remote that I can shoot multiple exposures (with each of these exposures being focused stacked (and hence, in focus throughout) This way, the (typically) 3 images I use to combine in Aurora will all be focused stacked.

The ease of this will be the deciding factor to purchase.

Also- I can bring my MacBook Pro, but would it also work on an iPhone? (don't have an iPad).

Scott
Catherine

Re: Focus stacking + exposure bracketing

Post by Catherine »

Helicon Remote supports both exposure bracketing and focus bracketing, and can easily combine the two. And yes, it will work on iOS (but only via Wi-Fi connection).
Each shot in the focus series will be exposure-bracketed. You should then combine (in your case) 3 focus stacks in Helicon Focus - each at one of the three exposure steps - and then HDR-stack them, just as you suggested.
Why don't you give it a try? And I'll be happy to assist with any further questions you might have.
JonathonB

Post by JonathonB »

Hi folks
I am a newbie to Helicon as well as focus stacking with exposure bracketing.
Before I head outside with my camera (Canon 6D MkII) for some landscape photography, I thought I would try to familiarise myself with the process.
So what I have done....
I've used Helicon Remote to take some really boring images of my laptop keyboard!
Before I clicked on "Start shooting" I set the Exposure bracketing to 3 shots with 1/3 step and Smart mode.
Then I set the near (A) and far (B) focus points.
As it happens I had my camera in Manual mode,1/20th second, f4, ISO 100, sitting on a bean bag.
Helicon Remote determined that I needed 11 planes of focus for the photograph.
So I clicked "Start shooting" and 33 images were taken which I then imported into Lightroom (desktop)
So far, so good.....
I exported all 33 CR2 (ie Canon RAW) files to Helicon Focus DNG.
I've seen messages about stacks and batch processing but I am so new/ignorant that I don't know what to do in Helicon Focus next.
Can you please help me out? I feel confident that Helicon can do what I am hoping, it's just that I am not yet familiar with it.
I would be extremely grateful for some advice or if you can direct me to some online resource.
Thank you so much.
And sorry for asking what is probably something either stupid/simple or both!
Regards
Jonathon
JonathonB

Post by JonathonB »

I am wondering if all I need to do is click Render, and HF does the rest :oops:
And the issues of stacks and batch is not relevant :lol:
As I say, I'm new, so please be patient! :roll:
Thanks again, Jonathon