overlap images % percentage for the BEST Results

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
microns

overlap images % percentage for the BEST Results

Post by microns »

in helicon what is the overlap images % percentage for good results and best results,
my steps overlaps images may say overlapped lets say 10% but helicon says no in are software its showing to overlapp at 30%
so how can you tell whats the best results or how to see and calibrate it in helicon any way to see this info in helicon?
exsample i take 10 images and set 10 steps =%10 overlap
now helicon says your 10% overlay = 30% overlap in helicon
for best results it needs to be 30%
this will give me info to change my steps in my other software x3 steps = best results in helicon.
not sure if out of focus images cause problems or loss of quality but once render be nice to have the app say like
100 images render 15 out of focus would you like helicon to uncheck out of focus and you can re render again?
Catherine

Re: overlap images % percentage for the BEST Results

Post by Catherine »

but helicon says no in are software its showing to overlapp at 30%
Where are you seeing this? There is no overlap indicator nor any code that measures overlap, could it be that you're actually seeing something else that you're misinterpreting?

We recommend 25-30% overlap. One way to achieve the desired overlap is to eye-ball the interval between shots - just look which step value provides roughly around 1/4 to 1/3 overlap.
Another way is to use the "Auto" distance mode, but then you must calibrate the DOF calculator: https://www.heliconsoft.com/HeliconRemo ... ION_FACTOR

The out of focus images generally do not hurt the result, but sometimes they might. It is always best to un-select any clearly useless images, but you don't need to be very meticulous about it, it's fine to have a couple out of focus images at the ends of the stack (e. g. overshoot or undershoot in terms of focal plane position relative to your subject of interest).

It's a good suggestion to be able to exclude the "useless" images automatically, but I'm not sure how easy or difficult it is to implement, we'll consider this.
microns

Post by microns »

Catherine wrote: 09.06.2021 23:39
but helicon says no in are software its showing to overlapp at 30%
Where are you seeing this? There is no overlap indicator nor any code that measures overlap, could it be that you're actually seeing something else that you're misinterpreting?
im not seeing it any where it was a compairson,
im not sure how to word it ,
you say>We recommend 25-30% overlap
that would mean 25-30% overlap in helicon,
but if i did overlap in fuji xt-3 camera 25-30% overlap might not be the same as helicon overlap.
so basicaly im suppose to 25-30% overlap in helicon not in camera on my fuji bkt bractking in camera.
by the way i use flickr image website and seen the #numbers of stack images in the EXIF file
i really like that it helps out a lot where i can find my best images and find all my setting and re use them.

BTW the link you posted is that only for Helicon Remote
because i have fuji xt-3 and in camera it does the stepping, so if its for Helicon Remote only is there another way i can see the percentage of overlapping between 3 images to check?
or inplant it in heliconsoft to check overlapping for best results.
like if i took 10 stacks and set stack 1 to step 1 then stack 2 to step 2 all the way up to stack 10 step 10 with 10 images in each stack or around 10
let it render threw heliconsoft to calibrate and show the percentage of over lap and have heliconsoft say like stack 8 step 8 with 10 images is 30% overlap and is recomended for best results.
and have it show in the EXIF file 8 stacked images =30% overlap :shock:
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

This isn't an exact value that you need to ensure or pay too much attention to, it's only a very broad recommendation that there should be some overlap, and there's no use in making it too large. In practice, 10% should also work, and 70% will work. It's not a simple value to calculate programmatically, that's why there is no indicator for it. I think you're overemphasizing the importance of this value, just make sure visually, with your eyes, there is some overlap.
microns

Post by microns »

thank you i understand it was a just a question because i seen people say this image was stacked with 500 images
and im like i can get the same results with 50 images.
it on how people think the more the better the less the worst
thats why i like to stay in the middle, not to high and not to low,
not only do i try and stay in the middle i base it on how large or small the object is displayed on the camera sensor
and not the size of the object it self.
if the object is displayed on the hole sensor a good chance im going to see all kind of defects like a dirt
if its to small on the sensor then it not worth showing
so i stay in the middle and i can still get a large clean object and looks real good with no imperfections.
i like insects i think they really shine in macro with no imperfections
so normaly you can have them displayed on a camera sensor much more larger.