Support for Apple M1 Processor

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
NikonZ

Support for Apple M1 Processor

Post by NikonZ »

I recently upgraded my laptop to an Apple Macbook Pro with the M1 PRO processor. Helicon Focus seems to work, but it is incredibly SLOW. Definately slower than my old 2012 Intel based MBP. Since I have one of the faster laptop currently being made I expected the performance of Helicon Focus to improve, not degrade. I was wondering if there are any plans to make Helicon Focus M1 compatible?
Catherine

Re: Support for Apple M1 Processor

Post by Catherine »

It's very odd for your M1 Pro system to be slower than a 2012 MBP, I'm inclined to say this can't be (certainly not unless there's a malfunction of some kind). Did you actually compare the speed using the same images, or are you comparing your current work to the MBP speed you remember from a while ago? In the latter case it's likely that your images were smaller and did require fewer CPU cycles to process, but either way Helicon Focus shouldn't be slow on your new system. First of all, please run the benchmark (menu - Preferences - Performance) and let us know the score you get. And then, get the Helicon Focus 8 beta which does support M1 and M1 Pro, and turn on OpenCL acceleration. But before that, it might be interesting to see the non-OpenCL benchmark score from the version 8, too. I certainly hope it's faster.

https://www.heliconsoft.com/downloads/H ... s8Beta.dmg
RCinNJ

Post by RCinNJ »

I'm not the original poster but seeing this I did what you asked and the results do not look very good to me-- unless shorter is better. I recently upgraded to a new MacBook Pro 16" with the M1 Processor, 10 cores, 32 GB of Ram. New to HeliconFocus, but I did recently purchase a license. It was very slow on my old MacBook Pro and I was hoping for a big improvement. It is faster, but not that fast. However, I had nothing to compare it to. A score of 212 doesn't seem that good to me.

I attempted to attach a .pdf of the results but I get the message this is an unsupported file format!? What is supported?

I had posted another question some days ago, that has not been answered yet, about getting a message that "The cache folder could not be created" and asked what I should do to create one. I don't know if performant would improve if I can solve this.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Try running the benchmark on a cold computer, I mean literally - turn it off and let it cool down and then turn it on and run the benchmark (try it first thing in the morning, for example). And don't open any other applications. The score is low either because the hardware warmed up and reduced the operating frequency (in order to stay cool), or because other applications are consuming some of the resources.

We've allowed attaching PDF files (previously, image files and archives were supported). And I've replied to your previous post, sorry it's a late reply - forum is not the best way to get tech support quickly (the best way is sending a bug report from the software itself, or using the contact form on our website).