250 Image limit

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
orac

250 Image limit

Post by orac »

Is the 250 image limit just on the lite version of Helicon?

I have just run a 500 shot stack for the last stages of my macro rail development when I ran into this. The stack was taken over 22mm with a 0.05mm interval, semtrical DoF was calculated at 0.1mm - 50 % overlap.

Will it be OK to stack just 2 imges, or should I try and use 3 or 4 images (stacked from the other images) for best results?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: 250 Image limit

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Helicon Focus 6 does not have 250 image limit, please use the latest version.
orac

Post by orac »

Lovely thanks

Waiting on a ring light to hopefully improve results, there was some blurry-ness around some of the edges. I think it was due to poor lighting, I was using a tube of paper to reflect the on camera flash to where it was needed, worked quite well until I found it wouldn't charge any where near as fast as the rail works after about a couple dozen or so shots. So the idea was scrapped for the purpose of optaining a test stack of images.

Any way back to writing that some more code so that stacks can be split of needed, ie if you have limited space on your memory card, allowing the card to be changed part way through. I supose a split stack could mean being able to proccess the first part of the stack while the next part is taken by the rail too, but that doent work so well in the feild
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We consider that split stack is rather an exception. Normally your card should be able to keep at least dozen of stacks.

While adding new features we always keep in mind novice users who are stressed by number of option and buttons. So we do not want to complicate things without necessity.
orac

Post by orac »

hmm, I am using a 16GB card at the minuite, Highest quality jpeg it only holds 1000 images (give or take), Raw that drops considrbly, normally less than 400 (270 rings a bell for some reason). I am using a nikon D7100, with either the stock 18-55 of a 35-80 with extension tubes until i can aford a nice macro lense

if we assume 270 and if my maths is correct, that would mean that with a shot taken every 0.1mm and an average of 22.5 (for a dozen stacks per card) images per stack, would give 2.25mm DoF that can be expected from each stack.

As the rail now as a prompt if it reaches the limit which can be anything from 10-2000 shots which will inform you to change the card, this prompt can be easily altered and switched on or off. And even though it is there doesnt mean you have to change the card, or even proccess them as split, just load the images onto you computer, clear the card re-insert into camera and press continue.

once the entire sequence is complete you can either proccess as 2 or more stacks to later be stacked together, or use all of them in one big stack.

More (D7100 can use 2 cards at once) larger cards are on the shopping list so stack splitting should not be an issue, it was a problem I came accross during testing, and seeing as I prefer to shoot RAW, I can negate any issues I may have until I can next afford to go shopping, hopefully next month

My ring light has just arrived so i will go back to testing and trouble shooting, do you have any other handy hint or tips for DIY macro rails?
orac

Post by orac »

Heres a 164 image test stack, still need to do some work on lighting, and try and reduce the halo, most likely by increasing the f-stop for 5.6 to 8 or greater.

Need to work on focusing too, but I resonably happy with this 3rd test.
rail seemed quite comfortable with 0.085mm steps over a 14mm depth

https://www.flickr.com/photos/orac008/13623254633/
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for the link. Are you using StackShot now? It just comes to my mind. You can set Helicon Remote to store images on the computer, that solves the problem with flash card completely. As to the rail, I would recommend to check DOF and shoot with 20-30% overlap. BTW, have you used Hyperfocal calculator in Helicon Remote to calculate DOF?
orac

Post by orac »

I am using a home made rail. the DoF is calculated by a deadicated floating point unit using the calcultions pointed out in another thread.
here is a thread on the production so far, although it does need updating
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread ... macro+rail

I may well go for helicon focus when I renew my licence (using lite at the momoent) whichis due in 120ish days

It is curious to see you suggest a 20-30% overlap, my defult was 50%.

I have added a mirror lock up mode in the system now which i should be able to test later today.

but one thing has bacome painfully obious, really do need a quality macro lense instead of extension tubes.
orac

Post by orac »

Some thing a little currious I have found is I get better performance from helicon using a darker background, maybe it just hides that bad bits better. whatever the case I have made some progress in the last few days between work and various other comitments

heres a link
https://www.flickr.com/photos/orac008/13834202923/
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Yep, this one is without any halo artefacts. I do not have explanation either :)
jimshirey

Post by jimshirey »

i have frequently had to split a stack between cards and there is no problem with this as long as you are using a decent tripod, use a gentle touch, and use the camera filenames. the only time i run into trouble with split stacks is when i run past 9999 on the counter.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I prefer to rename images when importing them. I am using Helicon Photo Safe and Helicon Import, the name template is set to produce files like "12-01-31 (#123).jpg"

That ensures that files are named in ascending order even in 9999 case.