New Olympus TG-3 Does Stacking In Camera

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
jpmccormac

New Olympus TG-3 Does Stacking In Camera

Post by jpmccormac »

Olympus just introduced the new TG-3 Tough camera. One of the new features is the ability of the camera to automatically take and stack 8 images at once. The TG-3 shoots eight frames in quick succession, varying the focus distance between frames. The sharpest areas in each photo are then combined to create a single image with a depth of field covering several centimeters.
Read more at: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/o ... -tg-3A.HTM
Stas Yatsenko

Re: New Olympus TG-3 Does Stacking In Camera

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for the update. "If you prefer to merge images yourself, though, the TG-3 can also bracket focus without combining images in-camera." It would be interesting to compare Helicon Focus results with results of the camera. It is a shame that focus bracketing is not yet implemented in DSLRs cameras where DOF problem is much more acute than in 1/2.3" sensor camera.
jimshirey

Re: New Olympus TG-3 Does Stacking In Camera

Post by jimshirey »

as far as i am concerned, this is a toy feature. i have never run a stack as small as 8, and normally run in the 100-200 range. plus, it is rare that i don't have to do some retouching. this may help sell their camera and turn some people on to focus stacking, but if that's all they got ....