WiFi solution - use same basic WiFi module as CamRanger?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Stas Yatsenko

Re: WiFi solution - use same basic WiFi module as CamRanger?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

So ho do you connect those Wi-Fi adapter to the camera? USB or Ethernet?
phototop2011

Post by phototop2011 »

Over the ethernet port. In the Nikon Wireless Transmitter Utility I configuered the Wifi Adapter as WT-4.
phototop2011

Post by phototop2011 »

Something interesting, I discovered last weekend. I got a new Tablet Pro 8.4 from Samsung and tried to connect it to my Nikon D4s over my Wi-Fi adapter “Cloud Wifi_B490” I got on eBay for 35 $. This one works perfectly with both, my Samsung Note 3 and 2. But I wasn’t able to connect the Tab 8.4 to the D4s with the Wi-Fi-adapter, although I got the network ID from the Camera through my OTG-cable-adapter and Helicon Remote network camera tool.
But then I tried something experimentally: I connected my “old” Nikon D4 to the Tab 8.4 over the OTG-USB adapter and loaded the network-profil ID from the Nikon D4. Then I disconnected the D4 and tried to connect the D4s with my Wi-Fi adapter. And what a surprise, this network-profil ID works now. The Profile ID I got from the D4s was different to the profile ID from the D4, but the Profile ID from the D4 works also with the D4s. Can someone explain to me, why this is working? What function has the network-profil ID. Why is the one from the D4 working, but not the one from the D4s. is there probably a problem with the Network tool of the Nikon D4s or is the D4s driver in Helicon remote not working properly?
jemanner

Post by jemanner »

Just picked up a TP-LINK TL-MR3040 to use with the DSLR Controller app. Installed their custom firmware, and good to go. Was in anticipation it might also work with Helicon Remote, but no such luck. Would be more than willing to purchase a second TL-MR3040 to use with Helicon Remote if someone would develop the firmware.
geo-pm

Post by geo-pm »

Hello,

I have been tethering my Nikon D800 via USB and Helicon Remote, and find it a bit quirky – as the cable does not really hold in the camera slot and therefore I lose connection all the time. So I am in search for a wifi solution, but do not have any idea if it even makes sense to wifi RAW-files of approx. 45 MB/pic.

Well, I read about possibilities to connect a TP-LINK TL-MR3040 with a Nikon D800 via an android app called DSLRDASHBOARD – (easy to find with .info suffix). In the download section of DSLRDASHBOARD it gives firmware for the TP-Link aswell. And the firmware seems to work very well, for DSLRDASHBOARD.

Could anyone try out for us (aaaahhhhm me) if the TP-Link works via Helicon Remote with this firmware and give me an update?
And: Could anyone tell me how functional my thought is, to establish a wifi-connection for shooting RAW files?

Thanks a lot, Georg
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

As we already said, it shouldn't work. There's no reason it should. It is theoretically possible, if the firmware completely complies with PTP/IP protocol specification and at the same time replicates the little specifics of Nikon cameras, but it just seems unlikely that DSLR Dsashboard developers would go that extra mile to standardize the firmware because this extra effort is not needed for their app to work. But it is still possible. So by all means, give it a try if you have the hardware.
D800 works fine over Wi-Fi. Of course, image transfer speed is slower than over USB (even USB 2.0), but it's usable. The exact transfer speed depends on too many factors and may vary greatly - from slow to very slow.
As for your USB cable problem, I have the same problem with some micro USB 2.0 cables (not all of them), but USB 3.0 cable that came with the camera should fit quite tightly and not be prone to contact loss, since it essentially has 2 plugs instead of 1.
geo-pm

Post by geo-pm »

I guessed already before, that my knowledge about wifi-transfer is too little – now I know for sure ;-) If I find out more, I will share!
As for the cable – I am not a nagger – I just found out at my last job, that it's quite loose now after some month of use, which is because I transport the equipment a lot from one installation shot to the next – I am worried it's gonna get a real problem, wifi would have been a solution...

Thanks for your reply, Georg
russellsnr

Post by russellsnr »

Hi, Don't want to step on anyones toes here but I use the DSLR Controller alongside the TP-Link 3040 and works great most of the time, sometimes I have the problem of the connection cable so maybe of help if you want to try a USB OTG Cable - Black, Type Micro-B to Mini-B from a company called LINDY.
I only have the unpaid version of Helicon Remote and must admit the interface is better than the DSLR Controller but (and not treading on toes) if Helicon could give a wireless option it would go to the front of the line.
Now not being a wireless expert or a Helicon Remote one, can Helicon be used wireless if you have say a Canon 70D that has wireless built in?
Many Thanks
Russ
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Yes, if your camera has factory Wi-Fi support (either built-in or external Nikon / Canon brand module), Helicon Remote will connect to it wirelessly.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

Sorry to drag up an old post but did you ever add using an android phone as a wi-fi proxy to Helicon remote?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

No, we didn't. Doesn't seem to be much demand for it.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

The only reason I'm interested is that my Android tablet doesn't allow charging at the same time as OTG connections so I can't plug an external battery on while using my camera, it's not a major issue as long as I remember to charge it up right before going out. Keep up the great work, loving the app so far.
stevemcbill

Post by stevemcbill »

Certainly a demand for the Android phone/tablet as a WiFi proxy here Stas.

Steve :)
Lars_plus

Post by Lars_plus »

"Certainly a demand for the Android phone/tablet as a WiFi proxy here"

bump.

plus 1. I really like this idea. A few of the others are calling it "pass thru wi-fi" I guess (DSLR Dashboard has it as I understand, as does Chainfire's Canon-only DSLR Controller. I just tested DSLR Dashboard and haven't got it working. I also bought the TPLink device, but would rather not go that route, and I'd rather not pay Nikon another $60 for their dongle. I have stacks of Androids sitting around however. Would be really cool to strap one on the hotshoe as a touch screen field monitor, and link to another as a wireless remote! LOVE that idea.

Just discovered Helicon and starting to experiment with it. Very very nice! thanks for building it! Cheers.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Noted. This remains on our list of things to implement in the future, but I have to say it doesn't look like we'll be able to get to it any time soon.